Nestled in dense jungle near Sigiriya, this beautiful wellness retreat in Sri Lanka is an inspiration for sustainable and healthy living. Mahagedara Wellness Retreat offers guests open-air yoga, spa treatments, healing ayurvedic treatments, delicious organic food grown on site, and a lovely swimming pool in a natural, peaceful spot.
- Type: Wellness Retreat and Eco Resort
- Price: Around $50 per night includes breakfast (depending on season)
- Best for: Yoga, Ayurvedic Healing, Peaceful
- Guest Rating: Excellent
- Location: No. 100, Gedigaswalana Road Sigiriya, 21120 Sigiriya, Sri Lanka. 7kms from Sigiriya. Airport shuttle available.
- Book Mahagedara Wellness Retreat at Booking.com
The resort is designed to blend into the jungle and is surrounded by trees. This creates a shaded ambiance which you might find a bit dark. But this is a natural environment and you might be lucky to see monkeys, lemur and even an elephant!
Staying at Mahagedara gives you the time to slow down and enjoy this magical space with the sounds of birds and insects all around. On the health front don’t miss out on an Ayurvedic consultation – you’ll learn a lot about yourself.
Sri Lanka is rich in cultural traditions with plenty of temples and archeological ruins, wilderness parks, gorgeous beaches, street markets, hill tea stations, spectactular food and lots of elephants. (Source) At this ayurvedic retreat you’re in the heart of Sri Lanka’s cultural triangle of historical and cultural wonders. This stretches from Dambulla in the south to Anuradhapura in the north to Polonnurawa in the east. This area is described as ‘ruins, rocks and wildlife’…..
In between relaxing, yoga and spa treatments you can hop in a tuk tuk to town or ask the friendly staff to organise a day trip for you to nearby Sigiriya Rock and Sigiriya Museum, Kaudulla National Park, Dambulla Cave Temple and Habarana Lake.
Here’s the Location:
Mahagedara Wellness Retreat is run on ecological and social well-being principals so they:
- Employ local staff and support local culture and traditions.
- Compost food waste which is used to nourish the extensive vegetable and herb gardens.
- Save grey water for the gardens and jungle.
- Create amazing ayurvedic organic meals served on locally crafted earthenware
“Lovely peaceful location in the jungle. Rooms were all beautifully designed with individual touches. Really nice spa treatments”Happy Guest
The rooms, called Glamping Huts, are beautifully-kept rustic bungalows in the jungle with en-suites, Air-con, a terrace and free WIFI.
Buffet breakfast is included in the price and caters for Vegetarian, Vegan, Halal, Asian, and American-style food.
- take a flashlight to navigate the paths at night
- take a mosquito net and bug spray
- try not to go during the rainy season. Best time to visit is in January, February and March.
Enter the World of Mahagedara Wellness Retreat:
Mahagedara Wellness Retreat is a magical jungle retreat guided by sustainable principals. Stay awhile and rejuvenate with yoga, ayurvedic healing, nourishing organic food and divine spa treatments.