Totally random! Hop on board your Ohakune Train Carriage Accommodation in the Tongariro National Park. This cool red train is an ex New Zealand Government railway carriage that’s now converted into a comfy and warm chalet for up to six guests. See also more Ohakune quirky places to stay below…
- Type: Holiday Home for up to 6 guests – couples, friends, families, groups
- Price Range: $$
- Best For: Central Ohakune, Quirky, Retro, Warm
- Guest Rating: Fun for Friends
- Location: 32 Rimu Street, 4625 Ohakune, New Zealand
- Check availability and prices at Carriage A
For 40 years this train regularly ran between Auckland and Wellington! Now Carriage A is a quirky and cool place to stay for adventurers hitting the slopes in winter or a summer stop for hikers and mountain bikers on the many trails.
You’re in the heart of Ohakune Junction near the restuarants, clubs and bars but in a quiet area where noise is at a minimum. You’re only a few minutes walk from the railway station! Your closest ski field is Tūroa at 14.7kms away or Whakapapa ski area, around an hour’s drive away.
The Interior of this Ohakune Train Carriage Accommodation:
The interior of the carriage is lined in a warm wood and divided into 3 sections – two bedrooms; lounge, kitchenette, dining; and a bathroom. A heatpump keeps you warm and cosy.
- Bedroom 1 has a double bed
- Bedroom 2 has two bunk beds
- The lounge has 2 pull-out sofa beds
Good to Know:
- Free parking
- Kitchenette includes: toaster, microwave, fridge
- Bathroom has toilet, basin and shower
- Note: no internet but there is mobile phone coverage
- 14.7 kms to the Turoa skifield and chair
- Ohakune Things to Do – click here
- The Old Coach Road is nearby – this is a good walk or you can hire mountain bikes for a half day ride.
- Eat at the Powderkeg Restaurant and Bar – this is a popular Ohakune institution not to be missed.
Note: There’s also a Carriage B which is next to Carriage A and has a similar interior. If Carriage A is booked up here’s the link to book Carriage B.
This retro Ohakune Train Carriage Accommodation is a fun stay for friends and families who are looking for somewhere quirky with a touch of nostalgia. You’ll talk about Carriage A for years to come!