The Old Courthouse b&b is a historic grand building that dates back to 1920. Now restored into a cosy, warm bed and breakfast in Raetihi and only minutes to the Turoa Ski Field and near Tongariro National Park. One night stays are fine even during the busy ski season.
Originally situated in the middle of Raetihi The Courthouse was moved to a peaceful hilltop with amazing views of Mount Ruapehu and close to all the region’s adventurous activities.
The friendly owners of The Courthouse have retained the traditional features of the building and kept some quirky historical artifacts. The accommodation is contemporary, and an extra floor was added after the move to create more space and modern guest suites.
With shared lounges and dining this is a place where you can meet other travellers and share fascinating travel stories. Or you can find a quiet spot and chill out after you’ve enjoyed the local activities – skiing, hiking, kayaking, and mountain biking.
The Courthouse B&B:
- Type: 3 Star Boutique-Style Hotel for guests over 5 years of age
- Price Range: $-$1/2
- Best for: Peaceful, Character, Friendly, Delicious Breakfast, Singles, Couples, Groups
- Guest Rating: Lovely friendly hosts and wonderful historic building
- Location: 32 George Street, 4632 Raetihi, New Zealand
- Book The Courthouse B&B at booking.com
The Courthouse is at the end of a quiet street in Raetihi. Originally a timber town, Raetihi was founded in 1893 the only way into the town was via the Whanganui River. The road to Ohakune was built in 1908. Today, you have the opportunity of kayaking on the great Whanganui River (see tours below).
Raetihi sits between Tongariro and Whanganui National Parks (source). All three volcanoes within the Tongariro National Park are active. You’ll recognise Ngauruhoe aka Mount Doom from the Lord of the Rings films. The other two are Ruapehu with two ski fields; and Tongariro. Don’t miss the amazing Tongariro Alpine Crossing Trek where you’ll discover the Emerald Lake, craters and boiling mud as you hike through the volcanic landscapes.
Distances from Raetihi:
- 10 minutes to Ohakune which has a New World supermarket, restaurants, bars, cafes, and shops.
- 24 minutes to National Park
- 35 minutes to the Tūroa ski area
- 44 minutes to the Whakapapa ski area
- 1 hour and 40 minutes to Taupō
The Old Courthouse Guest Suites:
All guest suites include quality linen, heaters, electric blankets, and comfortable beds. Note: the bathroom facilities are shared.
- Mountain View Room – views of Mount Ruapehu, includes king-size bed and single bed. This room is very warm in winter with the chimney running through the room.
- Judges Room – Queen-size bed and single bed
- Turoa Room – Queen-size bed and single bed
Lovely couple, delicious breakfast, really interesting building converted into a home. I loved the quiet location, tucked away from the main road.Guest Comment
Good to Know:
- Free WIFI
- Delicious breakfast is provided – continental or cooked
- Free tea and coffee
- Ski storage
- Free parking
- Drying room
- Washing machine and dryer (cost involved)
- Mini fridge and hair dryer
- Daily snow reports in winter
- Shared lounge with TV and DVD
The Old Courthouse B&B is a unique historic hotel in the heart of the Tongariro National Park. Only minutes to the Turoa Ski Field for snowboarding and skiing and also close to the Whanganui National Park for Kayaking on the river. In-between adventures, this peaceful retreat is a fantastic base to relax, while you’re looked after by the friendly hosts.