Nestled in a stunning mountain rainforest valley inland from Byron Bay you’ll discover The Shalimar Roundhouse: a unique circular timber yurt surrounded by a certified organic Permaculture Farm.
This unique roundhouse retreat is a peaceful getaway for any season in this sub-tropical region. The yurt is simple but rustic and set in a beautiful valley. This is a place for quiet contemplation, relaxation and nature activities. You’re near freshwater creeks, rivers and natural swimming holes, national park walks, rock features and mountain lookouts…
Best for: Permaculture Farm, Rainforest, Peaceful, Farm Animals, Swimming Holes
- Type: The Shalimar Roundhouse is a spacious Yurt/Cottage (60m2) for up to 6 guests – short or long-term stays
- Minimum Stay: 2-4 nights
- VRBO/stayz Guest Rating: Excellent
- Check other unique places to stay in: Byron Bay here, Northern Rivers and Australia here.
- Check Prices and Availability at stayz
At this Eco Accommodation NSW you’re ten minutes to artistic and alternative Mullumbimby (Mullum to the locals), The Shalimar Roundhouse is a 10 minute drive to Brunswick Heads and the beach. 25 minutes to the south you’re at popular Byron Bay Beaches and the Lighthouse (along with spas, shopping, restaurants, bars and cafes). Gold Coast Airport is 57kms/42 minutes just over the border in Queensland.
Hot Tip: Queenslanders don’t do daylight savings so there’s a time difference between New South Wales and Queensland.
The yurt is natural, spacious and includes one large circular room with two queen beds and a futon. You also have a sitting room combined with dining table and chairs.
The Shalimar’s fully-equipped kitchen is perfect for self-catering with fridge, gas stove and oven, microwave, toaster, blender, dishes and utensils. You can also order organic meals from the owners.
Just outside the roundhouse door is an organic vegetable garden where you’re welcome to help yourself to the vegetables. You’ll meet the friendly goats and chickens too!
You can dine indoors or outside on the spacious deck. The deck is covered for protection from the sun and rain and also has comfy seating for relaxation in this serene natural setting.
Mullumbimby is a very unique place and so staying in a yurt was also a unique experience. The surroundings are very peaceful and although the accommodation is very basic it is nice to be out in nature amongst the rainforest and goats. So if you enjoy ‘rustic’ along with a few special features such as a piano and WIFI then this could be the place for you!Happy Guest
The Shalimar Roundhouse Amenities:
- WIFI – fast broadband and chromecast for Netflix, YouTube, etc for the TV
- Satellite TV for free channels
- DVD Player, Games, Video Library
- Heating provided
- Fans for cooling
- Linen and Towels provided
- Parking on site
The outdoor shower, with gas-infinity hot water, is private with stunning rainforest views. In keeping with The Shalimar’s ecological footprint, the toilet is a natural composting toilet.
Extras at this Eco Accommodation NSW:
- Permaculture and Rainforest Tours can also be arranged by your friendly hosts.
- Hot Tip: Dawn or dusk is the best time to see platapuses in the local creek.
- Mullumbimby Markets: Mullum Community Market is on the 3rd Saturday of the month and the Mullum Farmers Market is on every Friday from 7am to 11am. (Source).
Recommend for people wanting to rest and relax – breakfast on the deck looking out over the paddocks and listening to the whipbirds – priceless!Happy Guest!
The Shalimar Roundhouse is a quirky and peaceful Yurt in lovely mountain rainforest. Relax in this serene environment, swim in the local creeks, hike up the hills, take a permaculture farm tour or set off to the nearby beaches. A stunning spot for a unique holiday!