Travelling to the South West of Western Australia? Why not experience the beauty of this region by staying in a unique style of accommodation from luxury vineyards, eco retreats, and a DC-3 Plane, to glamping and luxury?
This list of Unique accommodation South West WA offers the perfect opportunity to truly immerse yourself in the natural beauty of the region while also enjoying luxurious comfort. Whether you’re looking for a romantic getaway, fun with friends or adventure, you’re sure to find something to make your visit an unforgettable one!
Map of South West Western Australia
1. The Premier Mill Hotel Katanning
Welcome to The Premier Mill Hotel Katanning where exposed brick, raw concrete, industrial fixtures, and shining metal blend cleverly with modern interiors to create a chic industrial design hotel in the heart of the South West. Read more…
2. Eco and Nature: Denmark Accommodation
Check out this list of quirky stays in eco-friendly Denmark on the Rainbow Coast. See a treehouse, chalets on stilts, eco retreats, near Green’s Pool, Elephant Rocks, Wildflowers, and lots more. Read more…
Margaret River Lists
Margaret River is a popular holiday destination with vineyards, beaches, surfing, galleries, festivals, hiking, gourmet food, caves, and national parks. See these lists of unique and quirky places to stay in this diverse region…
- Heritage and Luxury at Grand Mercure Basildene Manor
- 6 of The Best Margaret River Vineyard Accommodation
- Stunning Eco Margaret River Accommodation – WA
- Best Margaret River Glamping in Western Australia
The Best Way to Experience Margaret River!
The Margaret River region is well known for its natural beauty, wineries, and surfing beaches. Today it’s also foodie heaven with farmers’ markets and world-class restaurants. Enjoy locally crafted beer, gin, and even nougat.
For adventure take walks in local parks including Boranup Karri Forest, canoe down Margaret River at the start of a wine tour, discover crystal caves, and take a bike tour to the vineyards including Cape Mentelle, Xanadu, and Leeuwin Estate.
The shopping is divine with chic boutiques, artisan jewellers, and art galleries not to be missed.
30 minutes north of Margaret River at Busselton, you’ll find a calm swimming beach on the foreshore and the incredible Busselton Jetty and Underwater Observatory. You can walk or take the jetty train to the end of the jetty to the underwater observatory for a look at a magnificent artificial reef and marine life.
Near Busselton, at Yallingup you’ll discover beautiful Yallingup Beach, a mecca for surfers, with also a calm beach area for swimming.
The Stewart – Margaret River
Best for: Affordable one-bedroom Villa for Two, Private, Near Town, Garden, BBQ, Patio, $$
Settle in for a comfortable stay at this quirky and rustic cottage surrounded by trees overlooking a brook. You’re only a 10-minute walk into town with bars, restaurants, and shops.
The villa has lots of little extra touches that guests love. You’ll find home-baked bread, butter and jam, and milk, in the fridge when you feel like sustenance and fluffy luxe bath robes for lounging around.
Pop your dates in to check availability – you’ll stay on this page:
Review: “One of the nicest places we’ve ever stayed. The architectural design was top-class, with stunning views to the trees and foliage outside.”
Good to Know at this Quirky WA Cottage
- Fully equipped kitchen
- Lounge, Free WIFI, TV
- All linen included
- Busselton Jetty is 49 km from The Stewart, while Bramley is 8 km from the property. The nearest airport is Busselton Margaret River Airport, 54 km from the accommodation.
- Book The Stewart today
The Lilly Dutch Windmill – Stirling National Park
Best for: Self-Catering, DC-3 Plane Accommodation, Dutch Cottages, Breakfast, $$$
The Lily Dutch Windmill is an authentic 16th-century design brick ‘ground-sail’ mill located near the towns of Amelup and Borden in the Great Southern region of Western Australia. The five-story full-size windmill has a 22-ton cap and a sail length of up to 73 feet. It’s one of the largest windmills ever built in Australia and is fully operational, producing wholemeal stone-ground flour. The windmill is part of a larger park that includes cottages, a 1944 Dakota airplane, and a restaurant.
Next to the windmill, you’ll find reception, the refurbished 1924 Gnowangerup Railway Station, and the unique accommodation that includes authentic 16th Century Dutch cottages, and a 1944 DC-3 Dakota airplane!
Review: We came to stay in the DC-3 plane but were stunned at how gorgeous the location was featuring the wide open fields, beautiful windmill, and mountains. The location is also very near (about 15 mins drive) to Bluff Knoll and many other mountain hikes.
Good to Know at this Unique Accommodation South West WA
- Self-contained accommodation with kitchen, fridge, stove, microwave, cooking essentials
- Air-conditioning, TV
- Free WIFI
- Linen and towels are provided
- Electric car charging
- A washing machine and dryer are available
- Airfield next to the accommodation for flights in and out
- See Tripadvisor Reviews
Travel Resources – Unique Accommodation South West WA
- Read: 12 Reasons to Choose Thrifty Car Rental for your Next Road Trip
- Read: Uncovering the Benefits of Cover-More Travel Insurance
- See the Latest Travel Offers and Discounts on Staytopia
- Compare car rental prices easily with Discover Cars
- White Cliffs Underground Motel in New South Wales
- Luxury Safari Tents at Paperbark Camp Jervis Bay
- 11 Best Glamping South Australia Stays
- Inside Scoop – Underground Accommodation of Coober Pedy
- Ingenia Holidays Rivershore for Unique Safari Tents and Airstreams
- 11 Quirky Places to Stay in Byron Bay for a Beach Break
Flickr Pics by Michael Spencer (Lake Cave) and Larry W. Lo (Lily Dutch Windmill)