Retreats are special places for contemplation, relaxation and healing. This list of Spiritual and Eco Bay of Plenty Retreats are tranquil havens in native forest and organic garden settings, where nature is a big part of your experience.
These unique places to stay include a self-sufficient cottage with native birds and estuary views, rainforest chalets and glow-worms, an upmarket spa retreat offering aromatherapy and hot stone massage, and an off-grid treehouse and chalets in an orchard. Read on to find the perfect sanctuary for you….
Price Range: $ – Cabin/Hostel | $$ – Budget | $$$ – Mid-range | $$$$ – Luxury | $$$$$ – Super Luxe
Links are to: Booking.com | Prices can vary depending on the season.
1. Orange Tree Cottage – Ōpōtiki
Best for: Eco Cottage, Native Wildlife, Views, Breakfast, Kayaking and Bike Tours, 2 Guest, $$
This darling little cottage for two is nicely positioned on a self-sufficient property in the countryside with views over the Ohiwa Harbour and estuary.
The owners are members of a local Care Group saving native wildlife, so you’re sure to see (and hear) lots of Tui, Bellbird, Kingfisher, Kereru, Fantails and Weka in this bird sanctuary.
Ōpōtiki is ideal for kayaking, biking, hiking and fishing and you’re in luck…your hosts also run two adventure tour businesses – KG Kayaks and Mighty Motu Bike Tours – which offer wonderful opportunities to explore the countryside and the ocean.
Orange Tree Cottage is a studio with an extra-large double bed, lounge chairs, bathroom and kitchenette. French doors take you out to the small deck and those views. The farm has chickens, cows and fruit trees, with figs, apples, avocados, limes and plums. Hopefully you’ll visit when the trees are in fruit!
Good to Know:
- Free WIFI
- A generous and delicious breakfast is included
- Linen and towels are supplied, heater
- Microwave, crockery, cutlery and glassware
- Outdoor furniture and fireplace
- Check prices and availability at Orange Tree Cottage
2. Mount Tutu Eco-Sanctuary – Ohauiti, Tauranga
Best for: Retro Rainforest Huts, Glow-worms, Rainforest Tour, Hot Breakfast, 2 Guests and Family Room, $$
This wildlife sanctuary is a peaceful oasis in the bush only 20 minutes from the centre of Tauranga. Mount Tutu Eco-Sanctuary offers exceptional friendly hospitality, a relaxing rainforest retreat and bush walks.
The Space and Activities:
You’ll find rustic retro huts crafted from recycled materials hidden in a lush garden setting. The glow worm tour and breakfast are included in the price. Also, don’t miss the rainforest tour which is a fascinating walk through this QEII National Trust protected property with 500 year old trees.
Good to Know:
- Double, Twin and Family Rooms with private bathrooms
- Electric blankets and heating
- Free WIFI, parking on site
- Shared lounge and TV area
- Check prices and availability at Mount Tutu Eco-Sanctuary
3. 9 Senses Wellness Retreat – Ohope Beach
Best for: 4 Star B&B Spa Retreat, Hot Stone Massage, Aromatherapy, Organic Gardens, Glow Worms, $$$
Rest, relax and rejuvenate at 9 Senses Wellness Retreat in the hills above Ohiwa Harbour. This high end retreat offers spa therapies, hot-stone massage, full-body massage, Tai Chi classes, aromatherapy , healing, and cooking classes.
Surrounded by organic gardens, a food forest with heritage fruit trees, and an olive grove, the food prepared at the retreat is healthy and delicious. The property is also surrounded by native bush, birds and glow worms so a tour with the hosts of this enchanting setting is a must-do.
Guests can enjoy bounty from the property including fresh fruit, macadamia nuts, walnuts, herbal teas, raw juices and spring water. The retreat also press their own extra virgin olive oil from the olive grove.
Spa Treatments include: body wrap, light therapy, personal trainer and fitness, foot bath, body scrub, hair treatments, beauty and facial treatments
Good to Know at this Bay of Plenty Retreat:
- Suites include an en-suite, kitchenette, TV, and extra long bed
- Terrace and gardens with BBQ and outdoor furniture
- 14 minutes drive to Ōhope Beach, 21 minutes drive to Ōpōtiki
- Check prices and availability at 9 Senses Wellness Retreat
4. Riverside Luxurious Farm Cabin – Whakamarama
This adult’s only country retreat for two guests is in a private farm setting with stylish furnishings and an outdoor bath. Read more in the list – Luxury Glamping Bay of Plenty
5. Tui Ridge Retreat – Katikati
If you’re looking for one of the eco Bay of Plenty retreats then go off-grid at eco-friendly Tui Ridge Retreat in the middle of a kiwifruit orchard.
Get back to nature in a cool treehouse or handcrafted tiny chalets. This is a friendly, social and pet-friendly destination. Read more at: Best List of Unique Accommodation Bay of Plenty
Travel Essentials for Your Trip to these Bay of Plenty Retreats:
- Snap Rentals are popular for New Zealand car rentals: They often post special deals on their website – check that out here.
- Discover Cars are also popular – they’ll search across all car rental companies for your area (including smaller companies too).
- Bamboo clothing is perfect for travelling – so light, soft and naturally breathable. Here’s the link to Boody who offer gorgeous organic bamboo clothing in New Zealand.
- For travel, outdoors and fitness gear see The Market’s wide range, including yoga mats, tents, boots, bikes, longboards, kayaks…
- See Get Your Guide’s Top Adventure and Culture Tours in the Bay of Plenty, including Skydiving, Hell’s Gate Mud Bath and Sulphur Spa, Swimming with Dolphins and many more…
More Unique Places to Stay In New Zealand:
- Spiritual and Eco Bay of Plenty Retreats
- Tiny House Bay of Plenty Stays – Mount Maunganui, Tauranga, Ohope Beach
- Luxury Glamping Bay of Plenty
- Best List of Unique Accommodation Bay of Plenty
- Choose an Amazing Art Deco Hotel in Napier – Hawkes Bay
- Stunning List of Blenheim Vineyard Accommodation in NZ