These Glamping Near Wellington options take us to quirky Glamping Pods on a working sheep and beef farm in Gladstone and on to stylish Greytown and plush Lotus Belle tents at the campground for an affordable fun stay.
Glamping offers a unique travel experience where nature and luxury combine to give you a comfortable and unforgettable stay. So let’s see what’s on offer at these unique Wairarapa accommodation beauties…
1. Gladstone Glamping Hut – Gladstone
Best for: Glamping Cabin, Off-Grid, Remote, Farmstay, Views, Outdoor Bathtub, Children Welcome
This cool pod is a great escape from the city with lots of peace and serenity (and starry nights!) Set on a working farm this is more of an eco-glamping experience since it’s off-grid and the power is supplied by LED lights.
You’re sure to relax with no internet or phone reception to interrupt your time out. Although you’re welcome to use the phone at the main house.
The Gladstone Glamping Hut is well insulated so you’ll be nice and warm on cool nights. The separate kitchen has a BBQ and gas stove, cutlery and crockery and dining area so you can cook at home/hut.
Come prepared with food, snacks, drinks, torch, warm clothes, hiking boots, and in summer – swimming gear, sunhats, and sunscreen.
Places to Eat Nearby: Gladstone Country Inn, Balter Bar and Kitchen and Gladstone Vineyard
Things to Do:
You’re switching off from technology so bring lots of activities – books, games, magazines, cards, knitting and enjoy the countryside.
Gladstone Horseriding Treks are nearby; walk the Palliser Vineyard Walk – a 50 minute loop walk to the river and back through the vineyard; also here’s a list of swimming spots on the Wairarapanz website.
Good to Know at this Glamping Near Wellington Pod:
- Bedding for three
- Hammock for real relaxation
- Towels, linen, toilet paper provided
- Bathroom in separate cabin
- Book at VRBO/Bookabach
2. Glamping at the Greytown Campground
Best for: Lotus Belle Glamping, Gypsy Caravan, Retro Caravan, Rustic Cabins, Camping, Pool, $
This popular little campground in the heart of Greytown is affordable and perfect for weekends or longer stays. The glamping option is a Lotus Belle tent furnished with stylish and plush interiors. Other unique accommodation includes a Gypsy Caravan and Retro Caravan.
What’s on Offer?
The campground is in a park setting with a swimming pool next door, children’s playground, tennis court, picnic and BBQ facilities. You’re a quick walk to Greytown Village for boutiques, cafes, and restaurants.
The glamping tent accommodates 2 adults and 2 children, the cool gypsy caravan has a queen-size bed, and the cabins accommodate up to 4 guests.
Good to Know:
- WIFI is charged every 24-hour period
- The kitchen and bathroom facilities are shared
- Bedding is included in the glamping tent but bring sleeping bags if you have children staying in the bunk beds
- Electric car charging station
- Book at Booking.com
Tips for Glamping near Wellington
- Take walking shoes and a water bottle so you can explore the hills and countryside
- Take a headlamp or flashlight for evening strolls
- Bring a first aid kit
- The yurts and glamping hut are all-weather – cosy in winter and summer
- Find healthy food and cafe at Food Forest Organics in Greytown
- Buy artisan bread and European-style pastries from The Clareville Bakery (near Carterton)
- Supermarkets: New World in Featherston, New World in Carterton, Four Square in Martinborough, PaknSave and Countdown in Masterton
Things to Do in the Wairarapa
The Wairarapa offers a fantastic range of activities and sights:
- Wine-tasting in Martinborough
- Castlepoint Lighthouse – see seals during the winter months
- Hiking in the Tararua Ranges
- Kiriwhakapapa Loop
- Pūkaha National Wildlife Centre
- Mountain Bike Tours (also around the wineries)
- The Putangirua Pinnacles (seen in The Return of the King in the Lord of the Rings Trilogy)
- Stonehenge – book a guided tour
- See Tripadvisor’s List of Popular Things to Do in the Wairarapa here
Affordable and Spacious Vineyard Villas in Martinborough:
See More Amazing Places to Stay in the North Island of New Zealand:
- Piwakawaka Family Hut – Taranaki’s Rainforest Treehouse
- Eco-Friendly Places to Stay in the North Island of New Zealand
- The Flying Fox Whanganui: Eco-Friendly Adventure on the River
- Ohakune Train Carriage Accommodation for a Retro Stay!
- Kapiti Island Nature Tour and Glamping
- Unique Places to Stay in the Wairarapa for Couples
- Popular Ohakune Accommodation with Spa Pool – Mount Ruapehu
- What are Free Things to Do in Wellington? 2023
- Cool Glamping Near Wellington