These Glamping Near Wellington options take us to the Wairarapa to a luxury Mongolian Yurt in stylish Greytown and then on to quirky Glamping Pods on a working sheep and beef farm in Gladstone. Glamping offers a unique travel experience where nature and luxury combine to give you a comfortable and unforgettable stay. So let’s see what’s on offer at these unique Wairarapa accommodation beauties…
Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means if you click on the link and purchase or book the item, I will receive a small commission at no extra cost to you. All opinions remain my own. Disclosure here.
1. Yurtopia – Greytown
Best for: Luxury Mongolian Tent for Two, Heating, Stylish, Kitchen, BBQ, Greytown Restaurants
Local Interior designers have created an upscale retreat on their property, an easy walk to the Greytown boutiques and eateries. Yurtopia is designed in the traditional circular Mongolian style with a wooden floor and canvas walls lined with wool and covered with a wooden lattice. The domed skylight is great for stargazing in bed!
The yurt is a warm and inviting space for two, furnished with designer interiors, rugs, super comfortable bed, sofas and an en-suite. Next door you’ll find a kitchen, dining and an additional toilet and shower. Outdoors a landscaped garden, fountain, outdoor dining, and a BBQ create a perfect haven to unwind and relax.
Good to Know:
- King-size Bed for two guests
- Free WIFI, TV, Chromecast
- Electric Blankets, Heating, Air-conditioning
- Fully equipped kitchen with stove, oven, fridge
- Parking on site
- Check prices and availability at Yurtopia
2. Gladstone Glamping Hut – Gladstone
Best for: Glamping Cabin, Off-Grid, Remote, Farmstay, Views, Outdoor Bathtub, Children Welcome
This cool pod is a great escape from the city with lots of peace and serenity (and starry nights!) Set on a working farm this is more of an eco glamping experience since it’s off-grid, the power is supplied by LED lights, with no internet or phone reception. Although you’re welcome to use the phone at the main house.
So come prepared with food, snacks, drinks, torch, warm clothes, hiking boots, and in summer – swimming gear, sunhats, and sunscreen. The pod is well insulated so you’ll be nice and warm on cool nights. The separate kitchen has a BBQ and gas stove, cutlery and crockery and dining so you can cook at home/hut.
Places to Eat Nearby: Gladstone Country Inn, Balter Bar and Kitchen and Gladstone Vineyard
You’re switching off from technology so bring lots of activities – books, games, magazines, cards, knitting and enjoy the countryside. Gladstone Horseriding Treks are nearby, walk the Palliser Vineyard Walk – a 50 minute loop walk to the river and back through the vineyard, also here’s a list of swimming spots on the Wairarapanz website.
Good to Know at this Glamping Near Wellington Pod:
- Bedding for three
- Hammock for real relaxation
- Towels, linen, toilet paper provided
- Bathroom in separate cabin
- Check prices and availability at the Gladstone Glamping Hut
Tips for Glamping near Wellington
- Take walking shoes and a water bottle so you can explore the hills and countryside
- Take a headlamp or flashlight for evening strolls
- Bring a first aid kit
- The yurt and pod are all-weather – cosy in winter and summer
- Find healthy food and cafe at Food Forest Organics in Greytown
- Buy artisan bread and European-style pastries from The Clareville Bakery (near Carterton)
- Supermarkets: New World in Featherston, New World in Carterton, Four Square in Martinborough, PaknSave and Countdown in Masterton
Things to Do in the Wairarapa
The Wairarapa offers a fantastic range of activities and sights:
- Wine-tasting in Martinborough
- Castlepoint Lighthouse
- Hiking in the Tararua Ranges
- Kiriwhakapapa Loop
- Pūkaha National Wildlife Centre
- Mountain Bike Tours (also around the wineries)
- The Putangirua Pinnacles (seen in The Return of the King in the Lord of the Rings Trilogy)
- See Tripadvisor’s List of Popular Things to Do in the Wairarapa here