Rotorua in New Zealand is renowned for showcasing Māori culture, stunning lakes, and forests, and as a geothermal wonderland hotspot (literally!) One of New Zealand’s top holiday destinations why skimp on your accommodation? So here’s a list of Unique and Boutique Rotorua Accommodation with oodles of luxury. In a range of locations from forest to beach to the city centre you’ll also discover a range of prices from affordable to special occasion.
Location: Bay of Plenty | Rotorua | North Island | New Zealand
Accommodation Type: Boutique and Spa | Luxury Lodge | Heritage
Price Range: $ – Cabin/Hostel | $$ – Budget | $$$ – Mid-range | $$$$ – Luxury | $$$$+ – Super Luxe
Links are to: Booking.com and VRBO (sister of Bookabach) | Prices can vary depending on the season.
Black Swan Lakeside Boutique Hotel – Exceptional Service
Kawaha Point | Suites for Two | $$$$+
Best for: 5-Star Hotel, Luxury on the Lakeside, Spacious Suites, World Class Service
With the tagline “get the celebrity treatment” you know you’re going to be spoilt at this luxury retreat on the shores of Lake Rotorua. Black Swan Lakeside Boutique Hotel offers exceptional service and sophisticated décor, with a touch of France, set on one acre of lakefront property.
This is the perfect spot to holiday in style, enjoy a romantic weekend, or celebrate a special occasion or anniversary.
The luxurious rooms include divine linen, comfy beds, a fireplace, and a monsoon rain shower in the beautifully tiled bathroom. You can choose a room with views of the lake, pool or rose garden. A sumptuous breakfast is included with continental options, a full English breakfast, pancakes, eggs benedict, and croissants.
The ambiance at Black Swan is soothing and tranquil with exceptional views of the lake, manicured gardens, a croquet lawn, a petanque court, and a private jetty. Swim and relax at the hotel’s private beach or in the solar-heated swimming pool (open from October to April). Two hot tubs and a sauna are available year-round.
To round out the lovely offerings at the Black Swan you’ll love the food at the hotel’s lakefront restaurant serving contemporary Pacific fusion food. With so much to offer at the Black Swan this could be just the dream hotel you’re looking for.
Good to Know:
- Helicopter pad on the property
- Your hosts can arrange a helicopter tour of the volcanoes and thermal parks
- Spa treatments are available on site
- For your suite choose from 2 single beds or 1 extra large double bed
- Flat-screen TV, iPod dock, DVD player, espresso coffee machine
- Wheelchair accessible suite is available
- 9 minutes drive to Rotorua Township and 18 minutes drive to Rotorua Airport
- Check availability and prices at Black Swan Lakeside Boutique Hotel
Treetops Lodge and Estate – Paradise in the Forest
Horohoro | Lodge Rooms and Private Villas | $$$$+
Best for: 5+ Star Award-Winning Premier Lodge, Ecology-Inspired Architecture, Therapeutic Thermal Spas, Adventure Activities
As you drive down scenic country roads you’ll arrive at the impressive tree-lined drive to Treetops Lodge and Estate. Deep in the forest, this refined Rotorua lodge caters to guests who love the outdoors and adventure. Set on a 2,500-acre property of native forest, southwest of Rotorua, Treetops is designed with understated luxury and interior elements of an elegant Safari Lodge.
This award-winning accommodation is a combination of unique rooms in the main lodge, stunning private villas set in the forest, adventurous activities, and soothing spa treatments.
- An apartment in the main lodge is ideal for family groups.
- For couples, Daydream Villa is a wonderfully large suite with a lounge and roaring fireplace, spacious bathroom, and of course, a well-stocked minibar.
- Each villa also has its own golf buggy to get to the main lodge, where you’re served your breakfast and dinner at the restaurant.
At the restaurant drinks and canapes are served before dinner, where you can meet other guests, and relax in the lounge. Amazing chefs create gourmet meals with the philosophy of ‘estate to plate’ where food is primarily grown and raised on their land. Top Tip: for one of your dinners make sure you reserve a table in the library.
A Unique Wilderness Escape:
With seven streams and four lakes the estate is huge so don’t miss the Estate Tour where you’re sure to see wild animals and native birds. Other activities (some may have extra charges) include a Maori Food Walk (book early for this), fly fishing, clay pigeon shooting, horse riding, canoeing, photography, 4WD safaris, and the many trails for hiking and mountain biking (bikes available free for use).
Good to Know:
- 11.7 kms to Rotorua Township and 18.3 kms to Rotorua Airport. Shuttle is available
- Free WIFI, Satellite TV, and Spa Bath in all accommodation
- Mineral Spa Pools
- Breakfast and Dinner are included in the price
- Children are welcome and there’s a 5-star kids club they can join
- Communal Games Room with Billiard Table and Cosy Library with Fireplace
- Book your activities and tours in advance, e.g. Bridal Veil Falls, Helicopter Tour, Spa Treatments, Kayaking, Fly fishing
- Check Availability and Prices at Treetops Lodge and Estate
- Compare car rental prices at Discover Cars and get the best deal!
- Looking for Travel Insurance? Click here and get an instant quote from Cover-More Travel Insurance for your next domestic or international holiday.
- Book the best tours and guides on GetYourGuide and let someone else do all the organising!
- Get the best flight deals with WayAway who offer cashback deals. Join WayAway Plus now and get a 10% discount.
Prince’s Gate Boutique Hotel – Loads of Charm
Arawa Street, Rotorua |Rooms & Suites Up to 4 Guests | $
Best for: 4-Star Hotel, Affordable, Sparkling Clean, Natural Hot Spring Pool, Families Welcome
Welcoming guests since 1897 Prince’s Gate Boutique Hotel is an elegant boutique hotel in the heart of Rotorua’s historic centre. Beautifully restored with Victorian-era decor and interiors, why not step back in time for a charming stay in this iconic city?
Prince’s Gate is ideally situated next to the Government Gardens, the Polynesian Spa and within walking distance to Eat Street, Lake Rotorua, and the shops.
Rooms at this hotel range from snug havens for two, to spacious and luxurious two and three-bedroom suites, all with air-conditioning, toiletries, bathrobes, and daily housekeeping. The hotel has three thermally heated pools, a spa pool, and a sauna for relaxing in true Rotorua style.
Review: Gorgeous setting…beautiful old character building has real soul.
Don’t miss the fabulous Dukes Restaurant for High Tea and also Cocktail Hour for reasonably priced drinks. The restaurant also serves breakfast, brunch, and dinner where you can eat indoors with glamorous interiors or more casually outside on the pool terrace.
Good to Know:
- Free WIFI and Free Parking on site
- Tea and Coffee available in all rooms
- Spa and Wellness Centre
- Family rooms are available
- 24-hour front desk where tours can be booked
- Accessible rooms are available on the ground floor
- Check Availability and Prices at Prince’s Gate Boutique Hotel
More Bay of Plenty Unique Places to Stay:
- Spiritual and Eco Bay of Plenty Retreats
- Tiny House Bay of Plenty Stays – Mount Maunganui, Tauranga, Ohope Beach
- Luxury Glamping Bay of Plenty
Regent of Rotorua Boutique Hotel – Stylish and Central
Pukaki Street, Rotorua | Rooms, and Suites up to 6 Guests | $-$$
Best for: 5-Star Hotel, Thermal Pool, Luxe Interiors, Spacious Suites, Central
Also in the centre of Rotorua, you’ll find the glamorous Regent of Rotorua Boutique Hotel with spacious suites. Designed with stylish and contemporary interiors and furnishings this contemporary hotel is a popular luxe stay near the Lakefront, Eat Street, and shopping precinct.
With only 35 rooms the hotel has a warm, friendly vibe with great service. Rooms include luxury linen and large tiled bathrooms with eco toiletries. The suites also include a lounge and kitchenette.
Rooms and Suites:
- Cutie Double Room for two
- Superior Room or One-Bedroom Suite for two adults and a child
- Two-Bedroom Suite or Executive Suite for up to four adults and two children
The hotel’s contemporary Regent Room Restaurant and Wine Bar serves Pacific fusion food and they also bake their own delicious bread and pastries. You can dine indoors (love the chandeliers!) or outdoors by the pool. One of the more expensive places to eat in Rotorua but worth it!
The indoor thermal pool and an outdoor pool are heated and available all year. An onsite gym is also available for guests.
Good to Know:
- Free WIFI
- Carparking on site (uncovered)
- 24-hour front desk
- The property is two stories with stairs (no lift). Ground floor rooms are available with disability facilities.
- Check Availability and Prices at The Regent of Rotorua Boutique Hotel
Unique and Boutique Rotorua Accommodation on the Lake…
Hannah’s Bay Waterfront Family Getaway – Cool Bach
Hannah’s Bay | Up to 9 Guests | $$
Best for: Award-Winning Bach, Lake Front, Kayaks, Paddleboards
This next Rotorua unique accommodation is Hannah’s Bay Waterfront Family Getaway, a gorgeous 1950’s four-bedroom cottage. Beautifully renovated and furnished with plenty of space for the extended whanau (family).
Hannah’s Bay is only 12 minutes from the centre of Rotorua. This relaxing retro bach is fully equipped with everything you need for a lakefront beach holiday with kayaks, paddleboards, lifejackets, beach chairs, outdoor dining, games, books, and a fireplace for cooler temperatures.
The beach at Hannah’s Bay is great for swimming and watersports. A children’s playground is also near the bach. Holden’s Bay is the next bay along and that has a swimming beach too.
In the bach two of the bedrooms have queen-size beds and the other two bedrooms have bunk beds. A small sleeping alcove has a futon for one or two guests (see pic above). The kitchen is fully equipped with an oven, stove, microwave, fridge, freezer, toaster, kettle, crockery, and cutlery. The dining table has wonderful lake views. The laundry has a washing machine, a drier, and an ironing board. For a great kiwi family holiday by the water this bach ticks all the boxes!
Good to Know:
- Linen and towels are provided
- Lockable Garage
- Pets welcome
- Check Availability and Prices at Hannah’s Bay Waterfront Getaway (VRBO – member of Bookabach)
I hope you’ve enjoyed this list of Unique and Boutique Rotorua Accommodation – Luxurious Stays.
Fun Rotorua Tours:
Rotorua is home to some of New Zealand’s most beautiful natural attractions, activities, and experiences. Viator handpicks the top ones to take your holiday from A to Z once you arrive at the most magical destination in New Zealand. Check out Viator’s list of the best Rotorua Tours.
Latest Unique Places to Stay in New Zealand
- What are Free Things to Do in Wellington? 2023
- Romantic Getaway: Lilac Rose Boutique Bed and Breakfast Christchurch
- Tussock Hill Vineyard Retreat in Christchurch
- 8 Eye-Catching and Unique Places to Stay in Christchurch
- New Zealand South Island Holiday: 4 Baches you’ll Love!
- Cool Glamping Near Wellington