Tahiti, the largest island in French Polynesia, is known for its picturesque beaches, crystal clear waters, and fine dining. While Moorea Island is a stunningly beautiful island, only a quick trip from Papeete, surrounded by a turquoise lagoon, white sand beaches, towering mountain peaks, and lush tropical vegetation.
In this article, we’ll explore the Best (and only) Overwater bungalows on the main island of Tahiti and on Moorea Island and what they have to offer. I round it all up at the end of the article with a comparison, hopefully, this makes it easier for you to make your decision!
This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. See Affiliate Disclaimer.
Hilton Moorea Lagoon Resort & Spa
Best for: 5-Star Eco-friendly Resort, Overwater Restaurant, Swimming Pool, Private Beach, $$$$+
The Hilton Moorea Lagoon Resort & Spa offers the only 5-star overwater bungalows on Moorea with the only overwater restaurant where you can watch the sting rays and parrot fish swimming by!
With breathtaking views of the crystal-clear lagoon, coral gardens, and the majestic mountains of the island, you’ll get to experience the best of both worlds at the Hilton, with the convenience of a luxury resort and the tranquility of a private paradise.
With direct access to the lagoon from your overwater bungalow’s swim platform, you can spend most of your time there, swimming, snorkeling, and relaxing on the deck.
Each eco-friendly bungalow is large at 62m2, with a king-size bed, flat-screen TV, free WIFI, mini bar, luxe marble bathroom, air-conditioning, and glass floor-viewing panels. You can choose from a mountain or a sea view.
A daily buffet breakfast is included during your stay with crepes, pastries, fresh fruit, French toast, an omelet bar, and lots more.
Other spaces to relax at the resort include the pool and the small private beach. Don’t miss indulging at the Moorea Lagoon Spa with a relaxing volcanic massage using ancestral Tahitian techniques and sacred Polynesian Monoï oil. Facials, body wraps and body scrubs, and couples’ treatments are available too.
Review: The Overwater Bungalow was spectacular. We really enjoyed our time stepping off the landing and snorkeling amid the coral with fish, stingrays, and reef sharks. We enjoyed the tour of Coco d’Isle.
Good to Know
- Airport shuttle available
- 24-hour front desk
- Fitness Centre
- Three restaurants and one bar at the resort
- Free use of kayaks, snorkeling gear, and paddle boards
- Activities include fishing, jet skiing, scuba diving, water skiing, and windsurfing
- 20 minute’s drive from Moorea Airport and 25 minutes from the Moorea Ferry Wharf
- Book your idyllic stay at Hilton Moorea Lagoon Resort & Spa with Expedia
Sofitel Moorea Kia Ora Beach Resort – an All Accor Hotel
Best for: 5-Star, Fine Dining, Celeb Treatment, Rainfall Showers, Room Service, $$$$+
The closest overwater bungalows to the airport and the ferry, Sofitel Moorea Kia Ora Beach Resort, promises celebrity treatment with world-class service. The resort sits on the very long and beautiful white sand beach of Temae. The lagoon at this part of the island is a protected marine reserve.
Spacious superior and luxury overwater bungalows offer a king-size Sofitel exclusive MyBed and a single bed, air conditioning, ceiling fan, free WIFI, satellite TV, telephone, minibar, safe and tea and coffee making facilities. The luxury bathrooms offer a rain shower and French toiletries. The horizon bungalows give you unobstructed views of the endless ocean!
Review: The peace and tranquility, coupled with excellent food and entertainment. A great Polynesian blend.
Good to Know
- Beachfront and garden villas are also available
- Buffet breakfast included and dinner may be included too
- 24-hour front desk
- Daily housekeeping
- Two restaurants, a beach bar, and a poolside bar
- Book your Idyllic Stay at Sofitel Kia Ora Beach Resort with Expedia
- For the sun – reef-friendly sunscreen (reapply regularly), after sun healing gel or a spray with anesthetic, a sun hat, sunglasses, and a rash guard. (#paid links)
- Looking for travel insurance? VisitorsCoverage and Cover-more both offer insurance coverage for French Polynesia.
- Want to rent a car? Check out the car rental options at Expedia.
- Check your flight dates with WayAway which offer cashback on all travel purchased.
Manava Beach Resort & Spa Moorea
Best for: 4-Star, Dive Centre, Great Breakfast, Premium Bungalows, Infinity Pool, Bars, Restaurant, $$$$
Located on the northeast of Moorea, this divine Polynesian resort is a high-standard 4-star and receives rave reviews. The advantage of Manava Beach Resort & Spa Moorea is that the lagoon is shallow in this part of the island, with impressive coral gardens, so snorkeling is easy and impressive.
Manava also has a Dive Centre on site for experienced divers and they offer a certified dive course.
You can choose from overwater bungalows that face the mountains, or premium overwater bungalows that face the sea. Each bungalow has a glass viewing floor and a spacious deck for sunbathing and diving into crystal-clear waters. They also offer beachfront and garden bungalows, some of these have private pools.
Good to Know at this Overwater Bungalow in Moorea:
- The overwater bungalows accommodate up to 2 adults and 1 child, with a kingsize bed and a single bed.
- The resort has custom tours, e.g. a coral grafting workshop – learn how to transplant tiny coral cuttings to threatened areas of the reef; Horseriding trips to local plantations; Hiking to archaeological sites.
- The Manea Spa offers traditional massage, eg Pineapple Monoi Massage, hot stone treatments, facials, body wraps, and lots more.
- Book your Overwater Sojourn at Manava Beach Resort and Spa Moorea with Expedia
InterContinental Tahiti Resort & Spa – an IHG Hotel
Best for: 4-Star, Lagoon Pool, Overwater Restaurant, Tennis, Room Service, Dive Centre, $$$$
InterContinental Tahiti Resort & Spa offers luxury overwater Motu suites, villas, and bungalows only 5 minutes’ drive from Faaa International Airport. This South Pacific paradise faces Moorea Island and the ocean with stylish Polynesian-style overwater accommodation sitting on the edge of the motu (islet) and near the Lotus infinity pool.
Each recently upgraded villa, suite, and bungalow has a private terrace and steps to the lagoon, where you can snorkel and swim in the turquoise waters.
The villas can accommodate up to 4 adults, or 2 adults and 2 children. The Motu suites and bungalows can accommodate 2 adults and 1 child. Each accommodation includes striking white luxe bathrooms.
Enjoy dining at the overwater gourmet restaurant and cocktails at the Tiki Bar. For adventure why not book a dive with the diving center, have a game at the tennis courts, and swim in the lagoon swimming pool?
Relax body and soul in the Deep Nature Spa by Algotherm with a relaxation area and steam bath, and a fitness room with lagoon views.
Review: Easily the best resort on Tahiti. Our stay here was the highlight of our trip. The pools and lagoon were amazing and the buffet breakfast was the best we’ve had anywhere around the world.
Good to Know at this Overwater Bungalow in Tahiti
- Daily housekeeping service
- Room service
- Air conditioning, minibar, 110V/220V outlets, safe
- Flat-screen TV with satellite channels, WIFI
- Near Papeete’s Market, gardens, parks, pearl shopping and world-class restaurants
- Book your Beautiful Tahiti Overwater Bungalow with IHG
Why not Earn Double Points at IHG!
Comparison Table – Best Overwater Bungalows in Tahiti and Moorea
|Hilton Moorea Lagoon Resort & Spa||5||Overwater restaurant, the resort is recently upgraded||Earn and use your Hilton Honor points|
|InterContinental Tahiti Resort & Spa – IHG||4||Dive Centre, tennis courts, near the city activities, lagoon pool||Easiest to get to from the international airport|
|Manava Beach Resort & Spa Moorea||4||Best lagoon for snorkeling, dive center, whale swimming||Fun, friendly and popular|
|Sofitel Moorea Kia Ora Beach Resort – All Accor||5||Glamorous, long white sand beach, marine reserve||French-style resort|
- Fun & Affordable Nouméa New Caledonia Accommodation – Self Catering
- 5 Unique Places to Stay in New Caledonia – This Will Help You Decide!
- 5 Authentic Places to Stay on your Dream New Caledonia Holiday
- Bora Bora Overwater Bungalow Resorts – Worth the Splurge?
- The St Regis Bora Bora Overwater Bungalows for a Dream Stay
- Best Overwater Bungalows in Tahiti and Moorea