Landlubbers ahoy! Here’s your chance to stay in a 30 foot wooden yacht named Belafonte II. Now retired, the boat is converted into a tiny eco house hideaway for land sailers! No need to navigate or watch out for stormy weather. This ‘sea-faring’ Eco Stay NSW for two is nestled in a bamboo grove in peaceful bushland north of Byron Bay.
Read on for more fascinating information about this Tiny House. Also see the list of Things to Do at the end of the post…
Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means if you click on the link and purchase or book the item, I will receive a small commission at no extra cost to you. All opinions remain my own. Disclosure here.
Best for: Peaceful Retreat, Cool Boat Conversion, Byron Bay Hinterland
- Type: Homestay (Bed & Breakfast)
- See other unique places to stay in Byron Bay here, Northern Rivers, Mullumbimby, and Australia here.
- Check Prices and Availability at: stayz
This hideaway is located on a 3-acre rural property in Wilson’s Creek, in the beautiful hinterland forest of the Northern Rivers Region of New South Wales. You’re 30 minutes (17.2 kms) to Byron Bay.
This area encompasses fertile lush valleys around the three rivers of Tweed, Clarence and Richmond. And is bordered by beautiful Pacific beaches to the east and The Great Dividing Range to the east. (Source)
Your eco stay is only 45 minutes from the Gold Coast airport but you’ll have all the privacy you need for your cool getaway.
The Rainforest Way:
You’re also surrounded by the stunning Rainforest Way. According to Traveller.com this is seven scenic touring routes that connect the Northern Rivers and Queensland.
This includes a whopping 14 Heritage-Listed National Parks, alternative lifestyling Nimbin, mountain biking tour opportunities at Nightcap National Park, stunning Lions Road, built by the locals, deep in rainforest, boutique enterprises, quaint villages and lots more. Here’s the official website: https://www.therainforestway.com.au/about/
The Belafonte II has been cleverly restored with a tiny house and decks attached to the boat. The comfy double bed is in the bow of the boat and carved wooden french doors lead out to the decks, the wonderfully quirky shower (includes shampoo and soap) and a well-maintained composting toilet.
Tip: in case you’re new to composting toilets, these are clean with no smells and work by breaking down (composting) organic material by microorganisms.
Outside the boat you have your own private courtyard to enjoy the sounds of the birds and the rustle of the leaves. Books are provided for relaxing reading in your private little paradise.
Top Tip: firefly season is from late August to September – best seen at dusk all around the garden.
Bed & Breakfast:
Breakfast and refreshments are included in the price along with delicious local honey. To maintain your privacy all the food is stocked for your arrival, so you don’t need to see your hosts. If you run out of food they’re only a phone call or walk away.
You’re supplied with fresh bread and a range of teas, milks, buttter, free range eggs, cereal, biscuits, wine, and mineral water.
For shopping, supermarket, cafes and restaurants you’re only five minutes from the unique village of Mullumbimby, and one hour to Nimbin and 30 minutes to Byron Bay.
Good to Know at your Eco Stay NSW:
- Mobile reception can be a bit patchy but there’s wifi and a smart TV with Netflix and Youtube.
- Accommodates 1 or 2 guests. The double bed is in the bow of the boat.
- Galley style kitchen includes a gas stove, microwave, small fridge, toaster, dishes, utensils, coffee machine and pods.
- If you need anything call the owners who are happy to help or pop down to the Mullumbimby shops.
- Air-conditioning and heating provided
“The Belafonte 2 has everything you need for two. Awesome bathroom and shower. Ample stuff to cook with and the breakfast and food provided was again perfect for the experience on board a ship retired from the sea, especially the local honey!” Happy Guest!Guest Comment
Belafonte II is great for:
- Global nomads
- Close to Byron Bay and Nimbin but private and peaceful
- Stay while attending local yoga retreats or visiting nearby alternative therapists
- Solo Stays
- Good base for the activities in the region
- Lovely stop on The Rainforest Way
At this Eco Stay NSW the Bellafonte II is a beautiful and romantic hideaway that is totally unique but comfy too. You’ll love the calming atmosphere and the closeness to nature. With no knots to tie or sails to unfurl you’ll be clear ‘sailing’ in a Sea of Tranquility.
Things to Do Nearby:
- Swim at amazing white sand beaches: Byron Bay (Tallow Beach is quiet), Broken Head, Whites Beach, Brunswick Heads
- Local Bush Walks
- Visit: Newrybar Village, Brunswick Heads Village, Bangalow Village, Federal Village
- Visit Crystal Castle: a beautiful crystal sanctuary only 5 minutes away: https://www.crystalcastle.com.au/
- Fun at The Macadamia Castle Animal Park: https://www.macadamiacastle.com.au/
- Byron Bay Lighthouse Walk (very hot in summer which is also fire season and may be closed). Read more here and to check if the park is open: https://www.nationalparks.nsw.gov.au/things-to-do/walking-tracks/cape-byron-walking-track
Tea Tree Lake:
Swim at Lake Ainsworth in Lennox Heads, just south of Byron Bay, and enjoy the healing powers of this tea tree lake.
The tea trees around the lake release their rejuvenating oils into the water, which turns the water brown, but is wonderfully healing for your skin and hair. Tea tree oil is traditionally used for dandruff, acne, cuts, burns and lots of other skin ailments. Don’t miss this ‘medical bath’! There’s also a smaller tea tree lake in Suffolk Park, 5 minutes drive from Byron Bay.
Check here for the latest dates/times for the Byron Bay Markets and others in the region: https://www.byron-bay.com/byronbay/market.html
- Byron Bay Markets: 1st Sunday of the month
- Mullumbimby Farmers Market: every Friday morning
- Mullumbimby Craft Market: 3rd Saturday of the month
- Nimbin Markets: 4th and 5th Sunday of the month
- The Channon Markets (Lismore): 2nd Sunday of the month
- Bangalow Markets: 4th Sunday of the month
I hope you’ve enjoyed this article – Eco Stay NSW: Tiny Boathouse Eco Retreat in Wilsons Creek. Feel free to ask questions and post your comments below. Best, Alisa