Looking for affordable Nouméa, New Caledonia accommodation on your dream tropical escape? It’s true, New Caledonia costs more than other South Pacific destinations. Food in these idyllic isles costs 73% more than in France and dining out is expensive. So to stretch your money further in Nouméa the trick is: book a place to stay with a kitchen.
You’ll save cash if you shop at the local supermarket for delicious French cheeses, tropical fruits, local ingredients with a stop at the boulangerie for pain au chocolat and baguettes. You’ll eat like a local and save money.
Check out these three options plus an added bonus apartment. Each accommodation has self catering options near Nouméa’s white sand beaches, island water taxis, French Bistros, boutique shops, and public transport. Read on…
Best for: Affordable, Self Catering, Tropical Garden, Close to Anse Vata Beach, Friendly Owners, Couples, Solo
$, Homeaway Cottage
In the heart of Nouméa , this cute cottage for two is in the tropical garden of a villa. You’re close enough to the friendly owners to get local information but far enough away down the garden for privacy and quiet.
Why not relax and settle in for a week – that’s the minimum stay – and feel like a local not a tourist. The advantage to staying 7 days is the low price – 7 nights here costs less than 2 nights in a resort! Check current price here>>
Self Catering in Nouméa
The other budget saver is the kitchen, also in the garden in a small thatched hut. You can buy food cheaply from the local hypermarket and cook at home saving a tonne of money. Relax and dine outdoors in the small covered terrace, where you’re protected from the hot sun, while you bask in the tropical ambiance. On that note you’ve got AC in the cottage which is essential during the hot season.
Close to Beaches
The local bus stops outside the cottage so you can easily and cheaply get around and see the sights of Nouméa. You’re close to the popular beaches of Anse Vata and Lemon Bay – Plage de La Baie des Citrons. Swim and snorkel at the beach, browse the shops, and stop for coffee at one of the chic cafes.
An affordable cottage with kitchen and terrace for dining and relaxing in the garden.
Things to Do in Nouméa:
- In Nouméa stay close to the beaches of L’Anse Vata and Baie des Citrons (Lemon Bay). On Sundays when the rest of Nouméa closes down, this area stays open, so you’ll always find beach activities, cafes, restaurants, and shopping.
- The New Caledonian barrier reef is the longest in the world and a UNESCO World Heritage site. The reef surrounds Nouméa so don’t miss a day trip by water taxi to one of the small islands near the city: île aux Canards (Duck Island), nature reserve Îlot Maître, Amédée Islet, Signal Island, and Larégnère Island.
- Choose a boat trip that includes lots of activities so you get more for your money. For example the Amedee Lighthouse Day trip includes island entry, buffet lunch, glass bottom boat tour, cocktail and wine, island dance performance, sun loungers on the beach and demonstrations. So you’re getting an action packed day in one price!
Hôtel Le Lagon Boutique
Best for: Popular, Great Price, Pool, Near Beach and Restaurants, Spa Treatments, Gym, Tennis Court, Solo, Couples, Friends, Families
$$, 3 Star Boutique Hotel, L’Anse Vata
Located close to the beach, local eateries, and shops at L’Anse Vata, Hôtel Le Lagon is popular for location and wonderful amenities. At the top of the price range in this list, but more affordable if you are a group of four.
Workout, Swim, Relax:
Book an apartment with a kitchen for self catering and easily stay within budget. Enjoy a spot of food shopping at the local supermarket and boulangerie only minutes walk away.
Le Lagon has oodles of amenities for everyone – families love the kid’s pool and tennis courts. Why not tone up at the gym, relax with an indulgent spa treatment, dive into the pool for a refreshing dip and let your worries melt away in the Jacuzzi.
Ready for Adventure?:
- Head to the Beach to hire surfboards and stand-up paddle boards.
- Snorkel out to the reef at Baie des Citrons. You might be lucky to see a Sea Krait – the local sea snake!
- Get up close with the lagoon and escape to one of the breathtaking islands off the coast of Noumea in a water taxi.
- The winds and surf of New Caledonia are perfect for windsurfing and kiteboarding. The Nouméa Kite School is at Rue Adolphe Barrau, Noumea. Ph: +687 79 07 66.
- Hire mountain bikes and cycle around Nouméa’s new mountain bike trails.
Boutique Accommodation with Kitchen and Balcony:
No worries about sand in your apartment or suite – they’re serviced daily. You can choose from apartments or suites for 4, or studios and suites for 2 – either by the pool or with a sea view. Make sure your stay includes breakfast so you fill up before your 3 minute walk to the beach!
Tip: Ask for an apartment on the quieter sea side of the hotel.
Popular boutique hotel with pools, apartments with kitchens, and spot-on beach and restaurant location.
Marina Beach Residence:
Best for: Small Boutique Hotel, Stylish, Affordable, Kitchen, Shiatsu Massage, Walk to Beach and Restaurants, Solo, Couples, Friends
$, 2 Star Hotel, Baie des Citrons
This private small hotel emphasises relaxation and wellness. Book a Shiatsu massage when you arrive, slow down and de-stress at Marina Beach Residence.
Location Location Location:
Marina Beach doesn’t have a pool but it’s near swimming beach, Baie des Citrons (Lemon Beach), and the Marina. The Marina is where you catch the day-trip water taxis out to the little islands beyond Noumea. Stock up on your ingredients for cooking at the local supermarket, or stroll over to the nearby shopping mall, restaurants, bars, and cafes.
This friendly hotel has studios for two, with stylish art, furnishings, kitchen, en-suite, and AC. Their minimum stay is 3 nights but the price is very reasonable.
Stylish, affordable and friendly hotel in a great location.
Bonus – Apartment Petit Loup:
This highly recommended spacious apartment is for adults only. Stay in touch with the free wifi, cook at home in the kitchen or dine out at the French culinary restaurants close by. Near L’Anse Vata for supermarkets, eateries, bars and beach. Check out Availability and Today’s Prices at Apartment Petit Loup.
Now it’s Your Turn:
I hope this list of Affordable Nouméa New Caledonia Accommodation with Self Catering helps you plan your next dream trip. Feel free to add to this list or let me know if you have any questions or thoughts!