You step out of your car and take a deep breath of the fresh country air. The sun is shining, the birds are singing, and the vines are swaying in the breeze. You can’t wait to explore Tussock Hill Vineyard Retreat.
After you’ve settled into your luxury cabin, you head to the cellar door for a wine tasting. The friendly staff is happy to help you choose the perfect wines to enjoy with your organic meal.
After dinner, you relax on your deck in the hot tub and watch the stars come out. You can hear the sound of the river in the distance, and the air is filled with the scent of the vines.
Best for: 4-Star Vineyard Retreat, Luxury, and Natural Linen Furnishings, Accessible Accommodation, Outdoor baths or Hot Tub, Complimentary Bottle of Wine, $$$
They also run a separate vineyard, Waipara Vineyard, in the Omihi Basin. This vineyard has Awapuni clay loom soil and a warmer temperature. While the Port Hills Vineyard has cooler temperatures and rich volcanic soil.
This means the Tussock Hill team can grow a variety of grapes.
Wines on offer include Petillant-Naturel Sparkling Wine, Pinot Noir, Sauvignon Blanc, sweet and dry Rieslings, Pinot Gris, and Rose
The vineyard offers luxury self-contained retreats, a cellar-door restaurant, and a wine shop.
A Vineyard Stay
The Korimako Vineyard Retreat is a stylish cabin with accessibility features.
The contemporary cabin features a private deck with stunning views across the vineyard and the Port Hills, plush bedding, an accessible tiled bathroom, eco-friendly toiletries, Bluetooth speakers, indoor and outdoor seating, and an outdoor hot tub for two.
The Kererū Vineyard Retreat is a modern cabin for two guests.
The private deck features 2 baths side-by-side, with stunning views of the vineyard. With indoor and outdoor upmarket furnishings, Bluetooth speakers, and a wide-tiled shower. The king-size bed is so comfortable you can sleep for days!
Review: Stunning accommodation still so close to the city. The outdoor bathtubs are delightful and private. The views have you sitting taking it all in for hours.
The Cellar Door Restaurant
The Cellar Door Restaurant offers a delicious selection of seasonal, locally-sourced sharing plates that pair perfectly with the vineyard’s own organic wines. Open during the day Wednesday to Sunday. Vegetarian, Vegan, Gluten-free, and Dairy-free are also catered for.
The Wine Shop offers a wide variety of the vineyard’s own wines.
Good to Know
- Free WIFI
- Air conditioning and heating
- Tea/coffee making in each room
- Parking on site
- Book at Booking.com
Wrapping Up – Tussock Hill Vineyard Retreat
Tussock Hill Vineyard is the perfect place to relax and enjoy the beauty of the New Zealand countryside. The vineyard offers a variety of activities for guests to enjoy, including wine tasting, vineyard tours, and hiking.
- Have fun in Christchurch with a Get Your Guide Tour: Tram, Punt, and Gondola Ride; Guided Castle Hill Tour, International Antarctic Centre, Guided Crater Rim Walk in Banks Peninsula, and lots more
- Get the best prices for flights AND cashback when you join WayAway Plus. Read the post here: How WayAway Plus Helps You Save Money on Travel
- Compare car rental prices with Rentalcars and explore Christchurch and the countryside. Don’t miss Lyttelton’s charming Saturday morning market, and a 1.25-minute drive to Banks Peninsula for whale and dolphin cruises, kayaking, biking trails, and lots more.
- Cover-More Travel Insurance gives you peace of mind and extensive coverage for medical emergencies, trip cancellations, and lost luggage. Compare their plans here.