With something for everyone this list of Northern Rivers Holiday Accommodation is a dreamy selection of unique and eco places to stay in Byron Bay’s Hinterland and near World Heritage Listed Nightcap National Park. Discover cool off-grid cabins, an amazing world-class spa, a converted Byron Bay bus, an exotic Balinese Villa and more hidden gems. All set within stunning rainforest locales…
- The Byron Bus (close to town) – Quirky and Cosy
- Bliss Cottage: Stunning Balinese Inspired Cottage with Pool & Spa
- Gaia Retreat and Spa – Peace and Serenity
- Nightcap Ridge – Rainforest Retreat
- Frog Hollow Luxury Lake House – Yoga at the Lake
- Quiet Getaway in the Rainforest – Off-grid Cabin for Nature Lovers
- Eco Cabin (Solar Powered, Rain Watered), Great Views Mt Warning, Very Private
- Quick List of Things to Do in the Northern Rivers
Unique Places to Stay in the Byron Bay Hinterland:
The Byron Bus (close to town) – Quirky and Cosy
Ewingsdale | Up to 4 Guests | $
Best for: Farm Stay, Fully Equipped, Near Byron Bay, Hot Tub
Why stay in a hotel when you can book into the cool Byron Bus equipped with everything you need for a stay in Byron Bay’s beautiful Hinterland. This cool bus is located on a scenic rural property with walks, amazing views and only 8kms to Byron Bay and the markets, festivals, shops, restaurants, and parties!
Set up like a tiny home you can cook at home with a fully-equipped kitchen. Read a book on the comfy sofa, and enjoy privacy in either of the two bedrooms with bedding for four guests, all linen. The bus has air-conditioning, WIFI, TV, BBQ, private outdoor shower, and (yay!) an outdoor hot tub. Continental breakfast is included each day.
Great location to everything but with the peace & beauty of the country.Guest comment by Joseph
Good to Know:
- Minimum stay is 2-5 nights for this Northern Rivers Holiday Accommodation depending on the season.
- The toilet is located outside the bus inside the main house nearby, and available 24 hours.
- Check Prices and Availability at The Byron Bus (HomeAway/Stayz)
Bliss Cottage: Stunning Balinese Inspired Cottage with Pool & Spa
Sanctuary in the Pocket | Up to 4 guests | $$$$
Best for: Private Luxury Villa, Lush Gardens, Modern Kitchen, Peaceful
Spacious and gracefully furnished, this luxurious villa is designed in a modern Balinese style. Bliss Cottage is set in a fenced five acre tropical garden with a large pool and spa, you can unwind and bliss out indoors in the sophisticated interiors or outdoors in the gorgeous exotic oasis. With plenty of space Bliss Cottage is the perfect venue for weddings, honeymoons, romantic interludes, peaceful retreats and festival accommodation.
The villa has two bedrooms. You’ll love the main bedroom with gorgeous Egyptian linen on the queen-size pillow-top bed, a private courtyard and an inside/outside bathroom with a magnificent Balinese stone bath. The second bathroom includes two pillow-top single beds and an en-suite.
True hidden paradise! This was one of the most peaceful stays where you can sit for hours and just relax. Loved it!Comment by Emma
The lounge and spacious kitchen lead out to the large deck with outdoor seating and dining surrounded by Balinese-style landscaping. The daybed and swinging seat are under the gazebo looking out at the lovely pool and 5-person spa pool.
If you can drag yourself away from this idyllic villa then you’re near Brunswick Heads for beach life, and a swim at Torakina Beach, a visit to alternative Mullumbimby for village life and the farmer’s market, and a hike around Mount Warning.
Take a Tour of Bliss Cottage:
Good to Know:
- Wood fire combustion heater for cooler weather, air-conditioning for summer
- Remote controlled 4K Sony Smart TV, Bose Sound System, indoor and outdoor lighting
- Check availability and prices at Bliss Cottage (HomeAway/Stayz)
Gaia Retreat and Spa – Peace and Serenity
Brooklet | Suites and Villas for up to 4 Guests | $$$$
Best for: Beautiful Vistas, Serene, De-Stress, Life Changing, Yoga, Personalised Spa Treatments
Rebalance and Restore:
This world-renowned luxury health spa stands on the highest point of Bandjalung Shire in the Byron Bay Hinterland. Owned by Olivia Newton-John and friends, Gaia Retreat and Spa offers luxurious retreat style bungalows, healthful organic food, amazing spa treatments, personal trainers, yoga studio, swimming pool and private jacuzzies.
Set on 25 acres of tranquil countryside and landscaped gardens, this award-winning retreat is a magical placed designed to heal body and soul. Ideal if you want to detox, get fit, de-stress, boost your health, lose weight, refresh your spirit, or simply need a peaceful and serene escape.
Good to Know:
- Packages are available: Revive is 2 nights of bliss, Renew is 3 nights of renew and rejuvenate, Refresh is 5 nights, Restore is 7 nights, Love the one you’re with is 2 nights, Mother and Daughter is 3 nights, Timeless Beauty is 3 nights, Pregnancy Pamper is 3 nights.
- Dietary needs are catered for
- Fitness Centre with Gym and Workout Room, Steam Room, and Tennis Courts
- Read Reviews and check availability at Tripadvisor
Northern Rivers Holiday Accommodation Near Nightcap – Wollumbin National Park:
Nightcap Ridge – Rainforest Retreat
Dorroughby | Up to 4 Guests | $$
Best for: Stargazing, Firepit, Rainforest Hideaway, Wildlife
Nestled within 67 acres of private conservation rainforest Nightcap Ridge is a peaceful and ecological retreat where you can chill out and slow down.
Set within World Heritage Listed Nightcap National Park and Minyon Falls, Nightcap Ridge is a collection of off-grid cottages with one or two bedrooms for up to four guests. Each cottage is solar powered with spring-fed water from the creek, French doors that open out to the deck, indoor slow-combusion fuel stove for cosy evenings and a lovely clawfoot bath for soothing contemplation. No internet so you can literally switch off from the world, and enjoy the books, games, cards, outdoor campfire (don’t forget marshmallows!), and starry nights.
The stylish cottages are self-catering, the owners supply eggs, milk and bread, but for everything else visit the fab delis and local shops in the nearby villages and stock up before you arrive at Nightcap Ridge. The kitchen is fully-equipped with stove, oven, fridge and crockery and cutlery. You can cook outdoors on the BBQ too.
Nightcap Ridge is 350 metres above sea level and temperatures are cooler than at sea-level so bring a warm jacket for cooler evenings.
A walkers paradise, explore the ancient forest around you and discover water holes, lily ponds, swim in the creek and dams, and discover native flora and fauna. You might see Bower Birds, Owls, Swamp Wallaby, Goanna, Little Bent Wing Bats, Koala and many more.
The location whilst luxuriously remote is also close enough to go out during the day and enjoy some of the lovely local towns like Bangalow, Newrybar and Eureka for great local cafes and shops.Comment by Avril
Good to Know:
- All linens, toiletries, and mosquito nets are provided
- Free mountain bikes are available for use
- Room service is available
- Check prices and availability at Nightcap Ridge (booking.com)
Frog Hollow Luxury Lake House – Yoga at the Lake
Lillian Rock | Up to 2 Guests | $$$$
Best for: Your Own Private Lake, Jacuzzi, Massage, Kayaking
A Peaceful Sanctuary:
Frog Hollow Lake House is a luxury and romantic retreat set on a private lake in a park-like forest setting. Savor the indoor and outdoor spacious spaces with large king bedroom and wood burning fireplace, Lounge, fully-equipped kitchen and a lakefront deck. From here you can fish or kayak on the lilypond lake. At the end of the day enjoy a glass of champagne in the covered jacuzzi with views across the lake to mountains beyond and starry skies.
This Northern Rivers holiday accommodation is a stunning spot designed to seduce guests with the luxurious interiors and the peace and natural beauty of the rustic surrounds.
Good to Know:
- Massage and Yoga can be booked in advance
- WIFI, sound system, TV, books
- Air-conditioning, wood burning fireplace
- Read reviews and check availability at Tripadvisor
Quiet Getaway in the Rainforest – Off-grid Cabin for Nature Lovers
Wadeville | 2 Guests (and baby ok) | $
Best for: Breathtaking Views, Off-Grid, Reconnect with Nature
Secret Eco Hideaway:
Like a fairytale cottage this Quiet Getaway in the Rainforest is a one-bedroom eco-chalet hidden in 134 hectares of peaceful rainforest. You’re only a 15 minutes drive west of World Heritage Listed Nightcap National Park with stunning rainforest, Minyon Falls, Terania Creek picnic area, and hiking and biking trails.
This off-grid wooden cabin is sustainable-living in action with solar power, composting toilet, and rainwater for drinking, showering and kitchen use.
The view from outside was breath taking. It was so beautiful and peaceful outside on the front deck.
Good to Know:
- French Breakfast is available for an extra charge – pre-book this or when you first arrive. Includes toasted organic bread and jam, honey, tea and coffee. Make sure you also ask for the delicious croissant and pain au chocolat!
- Kitchen with fridge, hob, cutlery and crockery
- All linen provided
- Deck with BBQ and a Firepit a bit further from the cabin
- Check availability and prices at this Quiet Getaway in the Rainforest (HomeAway/Stayz)
Eco Cabin (Solar Powered, Rain Watered), Great Views Mt Warning, Very Private
Stony Chute | Up to 2 Guests | $
Best for: Star Gazing, Outdoor Bath, Peaceful, Off-Grid, Swimming Holes
Spacious and Sustainable:
Here’s another quirky eco cabin that’s a popular and peaceful Northern Rivers Holiday Accommodation. The cabin sleeps 2 and is standalone and private with amazing views of Mount Warning/Wollumbin and the Border Ranges National Park. You’re only 7kms to Nimbin for shops, eating places and the Saturday market.
The eco cabin is off-grid with solar power, rainwater, composting toilet and outdoor bath. The bedroom includes a king-size bed and luxury linen. The bathroom is a short distance from the cabin with a gas-heated hot shower, organic toiletries, and an outdoor bath for plenty of awesome star gazing. The kitchen is well-equipped for cooking at home and the fridge is powered by solar.
On the activity front the property has freshwater swimming holes, local walks and there are bikes you can borrow to ride on a hilly terrain bike track nearby.
Good to Know:
- 2 night minimum stay
- Breakfast is included in the price (fresh eggs, sour dough bread)
- TV, books, games
- Internet coverage
- Massage is available in the cabin
- Check Prices and Availability at this Stony Chute Eco Cabin (HomeAway/Stayz)
Quick List of Things to Do in the Northern Rivers
The Northern Rivers in New South Wales is a region rich in culture and nature. Named for the three rivers of Tweed, Richmond and Clarence the area encompasses cool Byron Bay and white sandy beaches in the east to charming inland villages and Rainforest Parks:
- Art and Craft markets: Bangalow, Nimbin, Channon, Byron Bay, Channon
- Farmers Market: Lismore, Nimbin, Uki, Murwillumbah, Mullumbimby, Blue Knob
- Tweed Regional Gallery and Margaret Olley Art Centre
- Ninbella Art Gallery at Bangalow for Australia’s top indigenous artists’ work
- Lismore Art Galleries
- Mullumbimby Chocolate Shop
- Eat at Harvest Newrybar for local premium Northern Rivers produce
- World Heritage Listed Nightcap/Wollumbin National Park
- Border Ranges National Park
- Crystal Castle and Shambhala Gardens in Montecollum
- Brunswick Heads for the restored Brunswick Picture House for a movie
- Nimbin: Nimbin Hemp Embassy, Nimbin Candle Factory, free public swimming pool
- Hanging Rock Falls and natural swimming hole on Stony Creek Road near Nimbin
- Bhavana Organic Farm and Cooking School
- Drive the Rainforest Way
- Killen Falls and large natural swimming hole
- Macadamia Castle and Animal Park – between Byron Bay and Ballina
- Zaytuna Permaculture Farm