Spiritual Retreats in New Zealand are set in peaceful wilderness locations; pristine forests, quiet countryside, high on hills, by the ocean – each unique retreat offers healing for the body and soul and lovely self-indulgent relaxation. These gentle and natural places are perfect for over 50’s looking for personal transformation and spiritual growth.
This list includes yoga retreats, mindfulness meditation workshops, thermal mud therapy, magnesium pools, wellness adventures, chanting sessions, detox, reflexology and many more wellness experiences in the North and South Island. I hope you find your harmonious path at one of these spiritual retreats in New Zealand…
What’s Coming Up?
- Waiora Gardens, Hokianga
- Vartamana Retreat, West Auckland
- Ohui Eco Retreat, The Coromandel
- Ashram Yoga at Ohui Retreat, The Coromandel
- Mindful Moments Retreat at The Polynesian Spa, Rotorua
- Cape South Country Escape and Wellness Retreat, Hawkes Bay
- Split Apple Lodge, Kaiteriteri
- Kimi Ora Eco Resort, Kaiteriteri
- Aro Ha Retreat, Queenstown
Waiora Gardens – Magical Healing
- Type: Holistic and Healing Retreat with Unique Accommodation
- Best For: Permaculture, Yoga, Homa Therapy, Gentle on the Wallet
- Location: Kohukohu, near Hokianga, Northland
- Book at their Website: https://www.waioragardensnzretreat.com/
Set in remote wilderness in the far north this is a magical place of peace and tranquility. Wander through the harmonious gardens, enjoy the vegetarian food, join a yoga class.
What’s Available? Yoga, Fasting, Detoxification, Remedial Massage, Homa Therapy, Chanting Sessions.
Laidback and Unique Accommodation Options: The Hippy Hut, The Nature Retreat, and The Bamboo Caravan. Waiora Gardens is a tranquil paradise designed to heal the heart, the body and the planet.
Now we head out to a Spiritual Retreat set in the lush Waitakare Ranges, west of Auckland…
Vartamana Retreat: Refresh your Soul
- Type: Spiritually Nurturing Retreat
- Best For: Sattva Bodywork, Serenity, Wide Range of Retreats and Therapies
- Location: Swanson, Waitakare Ranges
- Book at their Website: http://www.vartamanaretreat.co.nz/
Hear about the Retreat:
You’ll love this peaceful and serene hideaway in the lush Waitakare Ranges, west of Auckland. You’ll be cared for in a nurturing loving environment. Vartamana was created by the owners for those “interested in alternative healing, and a more connected, mindful life.”
Accommodation includes three large twin rooms with bathroom, kitchen, sauna, swimming pool and extensive decking. Bush walks and Bethell Beach are nearby.
Take a journey through Vartamana:
Healing and spiritual practices include Trager which reminds the body of peace, meditation, and mindfulness. Retreats may include: 4-day Cleansing Juice Fast, Yoga Wellness, Returning Home to Essence for Men, Soul History Workshop, Silent Retreats, Moving into Mindfulness and many more!
Therapies offered by qualified practitioners include:
- Sattva Bodywork
- Chakra Balancing
- Theta Healing
- Therapeutic Massage and Reflexology
- Body Talk
- Energy and Sound Healing.
Vartamana Retreat is based on deep love, healing, awareness and of feeling happy and at peace.
Looking for a luxury eco retreat B&B in the heart of Auckland city? Warbler’s Retreat:
Now we journey to the idylic Coromandel coast to a luxury Eco Lodge…
Ohui Eco Lodge – Healthy Reflections:
- Type: Luxury Lodge. Book the whole place for your own organised retreat.
- Best For: Eco Principals, Resort-Style Swimming Pool, Living Roof, Beach Access, Private
- Location: 750 Ohui Rd, Opoutere. North of Whangamata.
- Book at their Website: https://ohuilodge.nz/
This beautiful ecological Luxury Lodge sits on top of Ohui Hill and can accommodate up to 6 guests. Ohui Eco Lodge is built in a Spanish-Mexican Style and with ecological integrity in mind. So the home is powered by solar, the living roof is covered in plants, the doors are handcrafted macrocarpa, the paint is non-toxic and the whole design curves around the hill and the pools.
You’ll love the natural setting and the incredible views of pohutukawa trees, native bush, hills, toitoi, ocean and Slipper Island.
What’s on offer?
- Swimming Pool
- Watsu Massage Spa Pool
- Music Studio
- Self-catering chef’s kitchen
- Glow worms nearby that you can visit
- Beach access near Opoutere Beach
Searching for a world-class yoga retreat? Read on…
Ashram Yoga’s Ohui Retreat – Spiritually Calming
- Type: Yoga Retreat
- Best For: Beach, Vegetarian Food, Harmonious Place
- Location: Opoutere Beach, north of Whangamata
- Book on their Website: https://www.ashramyoga.com/summer
Ashram Yoga’s natural yoga retreat at Opoutere Beach in the Coromandel, where you can practice and study yoga with experts in the field. Ashram Yoga runs regular yoga sessions and retreats for beginners to advanced guests, meditation retreats and intenstive Yoga Teacher Training classes.
Ohui Retreat is beach front and offers accommodation in the cottage, caravan or camping. The delicious meals are all vegetarian. Why not sign up to a Summer Yoga Break and enjoy yoga on the beach!
Balance your soul – Daily Activities include:
- Karma Yoga and Ashram Yoga
- Meditation and Chanting
- Guided Relaxation
- Yoga on the beach
- Massage Treatments
- Other activities: Paddle boarding out to the Opoutere Estuary, with hiking to rockpools and waterfalls.
Love relaxing in thermal pools? This next retreat combines geothermal wellness and mindful meditation…
Mindful Moments Retreat at The Polynesian Spa – Healthy Body and Mind
- Type: 2-Day Health and Wellness Retreat (approx $479 per person)
- Best For: Mindfulness and Meditation, Geothermal Pools, Mud Therapy
- Location: Rotorua
- Check Dates and Book on their Website: https://www.polynesianspa.co.nz/mindful-moments-retreat/
- FYI: Accommodation is not included so I’ve recommended a luxury unique lodge below.
The beautiful Polynesian Spa in Rotorua offers geothermal hot springs and therapies in this popular tourist town. This is the place to go to soothe your aching muscles with the healing thermal waters. Three times a year they also include the health and wellness retreat – Mindful Moments.
Designed to bring your ‘mind, body, and spirit into balance’. You’ll experience yoga, mindfulness, meditation and wellness workshops with soothing thermal hot pools and thermal spa treatments. Indulge in the Polynesian Spa Aix Mud Therapy, Pure Fiji Body Glow and Antipodes Halo Facial.
Recommended Unique Stay while you’re attending the Retreat: Treetops Lodge and Estate:
We move onto sunny Hawkes Bay famous for vineyards, gorgeous beaches and art deco Napier…
Cape South Country Escape & Wellness Retreat – Reconnect with Yourself and Nature
- Type: Heritage Retreat Venue. Book the space for your own retreat or join an organised one – see below.
- Best for: Magnesium Swimming Pool, Views, Heritage Accommodation
- Location: near Havelock North
- To See Upcoming Retreats: https://www.facebook.com/capesouth/
Cape South is a beautiful French-colonial homestead set in extensive gardens with idyllic views over the hills and a feeling of remoteness and healing in this natural setting. You’re only 20 minutes from the lovely village of Havelock North.
Enjoy the sauna, magnesium swimming pool, gym, herbal medicinal gardens and a yoga studio. You can book time with a naturalist and herbalist. The luxury heritage en-suite rooms are in the homestead and a nearby cottage with a lounge and dining room for social times.
See a birds-eye view of Cape South:
Cape South is a venue for retreats so to see upcoming retreats go to their Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/capesouth/ You can also see upcoming retreats by these yoga teachers who often choose Cape South for their yoga retreats : https://www.namastayswellnessretreats.com/retreats
The South Island has majestic landscapes and stunning vistas – the perfect environment to restore body and mind…
Spiritual Retreats in New Zealand – South Island:
Kaiteriteri – near Abel Tasman:
Split Apple Lodge – Ecological Sustainability
- Type: 4 Star Boutique Eco Lodge and Spa $$$
- Best For: Spa Treatments, Sauna, Hot Tub, Pool, Nature Retreat
- Location: 370 Kaiteriteri Sandy Bay Road, between Marahau and Kaiteriteri Beach
More of a lodge than a hotel Split Apple Lodge is set on an isolated wilderness hill-top with sea and mountain views. Relax at this eco-friendly retreat near the Abel Tasman Park and Track.
They don’t offer workshops but this is a spiritually uplifting place with spa therapy options. Take time to rejuvenate in the pool, spa, massage, and sauna.
The Lodge includes a communal kitchen so you can self-cater and there’s a lounge to mingle with your fellow travellers. Breakfast and afternoon tea are included in the price at this lovely lodge that follows sustainability principals.
Book your idyllic stay at Split Apple Lodge here:
Take a Tour:
Another popular eco-retreat in Kaiteriteri…
Kimi Ora Eco Resort – Nature and Ecological Design
- Type: Four Star Resort $$
- Best For: Ecological Design, Free Breakfast, Spa Treatments, Hot Pools
- Location: 99 Martin Farm Road, Kaiteriteri. One hour north of Nelson.
Kimi Ora Eco Resort is near the Abel Tasman National Park and a good starting point for adventure-lovers journeying to this stunning coastal park.
Watch the Video:
Kimi Ora Eco Resort is designed for guests to relax and restore. Enjoy the heated indoor and outdoor pools, sauna, steam room, hot tub, yoga sessions, massage and spa treatments. To keep fit the resort also has bush tracks and a glow worm track for night walks! The famous Kaiteriteri Mountain Park Track is a must do. Here’s a link to the bike track map.
Check out the price here for a rejuvenating stay at Kimi Ora:
Kaiteriteri is a well-known summer spot with golden sand beaches and aquamarine sea. For adventure you can hire mountain bikes and journey along the the Great Taste Trail: from Nelson to Wakefield you’ll ride through vineyards, hills, valleys, orchards, coastlines and islands. Read more here: https://www.heartofbiking.org.nz/tasmans-great-taste-trail/
The adventure capital of Queenstown perched by the towering Southern Alps is also home to an innovative, life changing spiritual retreat…
Aro Ha Retreat – Discover your Potential
- Type: Luxury Wellness Retreat $$$$$
- Best For: Sustainable, International Wellbeing Instructors
- Location: Glenorchy, Queenstown
- Book on their Website: https://aro-ha.com/
An internationally renowned luxury wellness retreat near Queenstown, where powerful and intensive programmes combine nutrition, yoga, and mindfulness in a stunning natural setting to transform you from the inside out.
Aro Ha Retreat is designed with sustainability principals that are gentle on the planet. The buildings are energy efficient German Passiv Haus and overlook stunning Lake Wakatipu. All food is healthy and vegetarian. Choose from the signature 6-day Wellness Adventure to jump start your health to an 8-day Warrior One that includes Functional Movement classes.
I hope this list of Spiritual Retreats in New Zealand has helped you choose a unique calming retreat where you’ll find restorative therapies and the path to making positive changes in your life.
- Unique Places to Stay in New Zealand;
- Unique New Zealand Accommodation for Couples – Lower North Island;
- Silo Stay in Banks Peninsula;
- New Zealand Directory