Totally random! Hop on board your Ohakune Train Carriage Accommodation in the Tongariro National Park. This cool red train is an ex-New Zealand Government railway carriage that’s now converted into a comfy and warm chalet for up to six guests.
This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. See Affiliate Disclaimer.
Best for: Converted Train Carriage, Retro, Central Location, Fun, 6 Guests, $$
For 40 years this train regularly ran between Auckland and Wellington! Now Carriage A is a quirky and cool place to stay for adventurers hitting the slopes in winter or a summer stop for hikers and mountain bikers on the many trails.
You’re in the heart of Ohakune Junction near the restuarants, clubs and bars but in a quiet area where noise is at a minimum. You’re only a few minutes walk from the railway station! Your closest ski field is Tūroa at 14.7kms away or Whakapapa ski area, around an hour’s drive away.
Hop on Board!
The interior of the carriage is lined in a warm wood and divided into 3 sections – two bedrooms; lounge, kitchenette, dining; and a bathroom. A heatpump keeps you warm and cosy.
- Bedroom 1 has a double bed
- Bedroom 2 has two bunk beds
- The lounge has 2 pull-out sofa beds
Good to Know
- Free parking, Heatpump, TV
- The kitchenette includes a toaster, microwave, fridge, and tea/coffee-making facilities
- The bathroom has a toilet, basin, and shower
- No internet but there is mobile phone coverage
- See Carriage A at Booking.com
Note: There’s also a Carriage B which is next to Carriage A and has a similar interior. If Carriage A is booked up here’s the Booking.com link to book Carriage B.
This retro Ohakune Train Carriage Accommodation is a fun stay for friends and families who are looking for somewhere quirky with a touch of nostalgia. You’ll talk about Carriage A for years to come!
Things to Do
- The Old Coach Road is nearby – this is a good walk or you can hire mountain bikes for a half-day ride.
- Eat at the Powderkeg Restaurant and Bar – this is a popular Ohakune institution not to be missed.
- See Viator’s list of top things to do, including the Tongariro Crossing and the Mt Ruapehu Summit Guided Walk.
SEE MORE UNIQUE PLACES TO STAY
- The Flying Fox Whanganui: Eco-Friendly Adventure on the River
- Ohakune Train Carriage Accommodation for a Retro Stay!
- Unique Places to Stay in the Wairarapa for Couples
- Popular Ohakune Accommodation with Spa Pool – Mount Ruapehu
- What are Free Things to Do in Wellington? 2023
- Cool Glamping Near Wellington