The Flying Fox Whanganui is a quirky and blissful stay on the forested banks of the beautiful Whanganui River. This hidden gem offers earth-friendly accommodation, in an idyllic rural setting with access to canoe, hiking and biking adventures. See list of adventurous things to do further on…
- Type: Holiday Cottages, Glamping, Camping for all budgets
- Price: $-$$
- Best for: Canoe and Stay Option, Remote Location, Gypsy Cart, Permaculture Gardens, Aerial Cableway
- Guest Rating: Excellent
- Location: 3081 Whanganui River Road, Whanganui, New Zealand
- Book: https://www.theflyingfox.co.nz/
Travellers usually arrive by canoe or car or bike. The owners aren’t always in residence so make sure you book your accommodation in advance. If you’re on a canoe trip you may not have phone or internet reception on the river so book before your trip.
The drive is about 42kms from Whanganui. The final 30 kilometres takes you through thick native forest to The Flying Fox parking spot across the river. From here you bring your bags and meet the owners for the fun trip in the aerial cableway. For mountain bikers there’s a secure hold for your bikes. Tip: you must arrive on time to meet the owners.
Choice of Accommodation:
Once you arrive at this slice of paradise you’ll see the charming accommodation nestled in the forest and gardens with the occasional sheep and deer wondering through.
- The Gypsy Cart – a combo of Romany Gypsy Cart and Glamping Tent near the river.
- Bellbird Glamping – fun accommodation for two.
- Ruru Lodge – available for 4 to 7 guests. December to Easter only.
- Koru Campsite – for canoeists, walkers, mountain bikers and guests who want to bring their own tent.
- The James K. Cottage – named after New Zealand writer, James K Baxter, who spent time down the river. Library and comfy accommodation with a fully-equipped kitchen for 2 to 6 guests. A pot-belly stove keeps the place warm.
- The Riverboat Cottage – originally a manuka beer brewery! Now a year-round cottage with a cosy woodburner.
The Flying Fox Whanganui follows sustainable ecological practices:
- Solar panels
- Composting toilets
- On-site waste and water management
- Environmentally responsible use of resources
- Organic vegetable garden and organic fruit trees are grown using permaculture principals
- The accommodation is hand-built and crafted from recycled and natural materials
Good to Know:
- Breakfast and dinner can be ordered
- A snack shop is open in summer
- Kitchens are available for self-catering
- Need to relax? Enjoy a peaceful soak in one of the bush baths!
- The owners also run a holiday home (with spa pool) in Ohakune near the ski fields: http://www.thealpinefox.co.nz/
Best Time to Visit:
This is a four seasons accommodation option. The two cottages have fireplaces for warm winter retreats. In those winter months, July, July, August, you’ll experience more rainy days. The kayaking season runs from October to April. December and January bring more people to the river but the weather is warm. February and March are warmer but the river may be lower.
Drone’s View of The Flying Fox Whanganui:
Adventure Anyone at The Flying Fox – New Zealand?
Popular with weekenders, walkers, cyclists and canoeists, The Flying Fox is halfway between Pipiriki and Whanganui – see map. Although. you’re not far from Whanganui Township you’ll feel deep in remote forest. There’s popular walking and biking tracks nearby:
- Atene Skyline Track (Department of Conservation Information). 6-8 hour track with amazing views.
- The Mountain to Sea Cycle Trail (official website) for a ride through the Tongariro volcanoes, river, forest and coast.
- The spectactular Te Araroa Walkway that starts in the north at Cape Reinga and finishes in the deep south in Bluff (offical website).
Want some Adventure on the River?
Flying Fox & Canoe Adventure: A highlight is choosing one of the accommodation and canoe adventures. Very affordable prices too. The two-night adventure includes the flying fox over the river, 2 nights in one of the cottages or gypsy cart, breakfast and packed lunch and a thrilling canoe trip on the river.
The Flying Fox Whanganui is an enchanting rustic stay on the banks of the atmospheric Whanganui River. A popular stop for adventurous travellers, romantic weekends and peaceful retreats. Click here to book on their website.