Margaret River may be a small Western Australian town, but the region boasts a huge reputation. Located on the south-western tip of the state, this is where you go for some of Australia’s – and perhaps the world’s – best eatables and drinkables. Even though the picturesque wineries here produce less than 3% of Australia’s total wine, they make up more than 20% of its premium wine – so you know you’re getting top quality stuff.
In between all the eating and drinking, there are plenty of natural forests, caves and beaches you can explore, making the region one of the top 10 biodiversity hotspots of the world. Eco Margaret River Accommodation options reflect the high quality and environmentally friendly focus of their surroundings. With a range of luxury and eco-friendly choices, there’s somewhere perfect to stay for families, couples and solo visitors alike in this delightfully delicious part of the world.
- 1. Birchfield Farmstay – The Dome – Margaret River
- 2. Forest Rise Chalets and Lodge – Yelverton
- 3. Hidden Valley Forest Retreat – Carbanup
- 4. Yelverton Brook Conservation Sanctuary – Yelverton
- 5. Riverglen Chalets – Margaret River Town
- 6. Merchants Studio – Margaret River
- Popular Wineries in Margaret River
Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means if you click on the link and purchase or book the item, I will receive a small commission at no extra cost to you. All opinions remain my own. Disclosure here.
1. Birchfield Farmstay – The Dome – Margaret River
Best for: Strawbale House for 8, Farmstay, BBQ, Hammocks, Fireplace
You can huff and you can puff, but you won’t be able to blow down this strawbale house, which is rendered in tough, energy-efficient clay. The unique dome was designed and built entirely by Birchfield Farmstay’s owner, Andy, and features a huge, entirely round living/kitchen/dining area.
Perfect for families or friend groups, there’s room for 8 people to stay and roam the 90-acre property, which you’ll share with friendly donkeys, alpacas, peacocks, guinea fowl, ducks, pigs and guinea pigs.
Good to Know:
- 2 bedrooms: one queen bed in bedroom 1, and four queen beds in bedroom 2. Two bathrooms.
- Satellite TV and WIFI available
- 1.5kms to Margaret River town centre
- Fireplace, kitchen and BBQ
- Master bedroom has private veranda with forest views
- Well-behaved dogs are welcome on request
- Check prices and availability at Birchfield Farmstay
2. Forest Rise Chalets and Lodge – Yelverton
Best for: Eco-accredited Spa Chalets, 5 Star Lodge and Pool, Forest and Lake, Wildlife, Bikes, Yoga
Forest Rise offers ten 4½-star chalets and one 5-star lodge at their serene, eco-accredited retreat. These Margaret River chalets are made from rammed earth and are solar passive, meaning they’re designed to stay cool in summer and warm in winter (there’s also reverse cycle air conditioning as a backup). The absolute highlight of these little beauties is the purpose-built glass roof over your spa – perfect for stargazing while you’re soaking in bubbly luxury!
As part of Forest Rise’s eco-accreditation they’ve created a habitat for environmental conservation, with a focus on bird life so you’re sure to see friendly wildlife on your walks and bike rides.
Good to Know at this Eco Margaret River Accommodation:
- One-bedroom chalet for 2 guests with spa, Two-bedroom chalet for up to 4 guests with spa, the 5 star Lodge has four bedrooms and en-suite, private pool and outdoor spa
- Self check in and out
- Personal chef, massage and yoga available upon request
- On-site, forest-rimmed lake with overwater gazebo
- On-site walking and biking trails, bikes available
- Check prices and availability at Forest Rise Chalets and Lodge
Take a Tour of Forest Rise:
3. Hidden Valley Forest Retreat – Carbanup
Best for: 4 Star Incredible Private Chalets, Outdoor BBQ and Spa Bath Villa, Personal Chef, Lake and Jetty
They aren’t kidding about their retreat being “hidden” – this Eco Margaret River Accommodation makes sure each of its chalets has a minimum of 150m of native forest between them. All four ultra-modern and amazing chalets are entirely self-contained, meaning you really can hide away from the world and relax undisturbed.
Margaret River town centre isn’t too far away though; restaurants are within an easy 15min drive. The contemporary chalets are individually designed to capture the spirit of the environment around them, and feature a private spa bath, log fire and sun loungers.
Good to Know:
- Private outdoor dining area with BBQ
- Personal chef can be arranged
- Outdoor spa baths
- Air conditioning
- Check prices and availability at Hidden Valley Forest Retreat
Take a Tour of Hidden Valley Forest Retreat (skip to 2.04):
4. Yelverton Brook Conservation Sanctuary – Yelverton
Best for: Casual Chalets, Wildlife, Family friendly, Couples, Solo, Friends, Spa Pool
This Eco Margaret River Accommodation has celebrated 20+ years of achieving the highest eco-certification, located entirely within a protected native wildlife conservation sanctuary. Yelverton Brook has fully enclosed their 100 acres with predator-proof fencing so the friendly wildlife, such as critically endangered woylies, can frolic and breed in peace.
There are five Margaret River chalets to choose from with either one or two bedrooms. Each has its own private spa, a patio or balcony with BBQ, and a fully equipped kitchen.
Good to Know:
- Located in Metricup, 24km from Margaret River
- Bath robe, slippers and toiletries included
- Cot and highchair are available on request
- Guided nocturnal tours available
- Check prices and availability at Yelverton Brook Conservation Sanctuary
5. Riverglen Chalets – Margaret River Town
Best for: 4 Star Forest Chalets, Modern Interiors, Spa Pool, Accommodation for up to 8 Guests,
You wouldn’t guess the town centre is only a short walk away; this Eco Margaret River Accommodation feels peacefully secluded amongst its forested gardens. With the Margaret River Distilling Company right on your doorstep and the ability to host 60 guests, this is also a fantastic venue for a wedding or event.
Each of the 15 timber chalets at Riverglen Chalets has a private veranda with BBQ, and many feature pot belly fires to keep you cosy in winter.
Good to Know:
- Studio chalets, one-bedroom chalets, two-bedroom chalets with spa pool, three-bedroom chalets and four-bedroom house.
- Fully equipped kitchen
- Electric blankets
- Games room with table tennis and darts
- Deluxe Disability Access Studio Chalet available
- Check prices and availability at Riverglen Chalets
6. Merchants Studio – Margaret River
Best for: Unique Luxury Shipping Conversion, Delicious Breakfast, Pot Belly Fireplace
The Merchants Studio is a stylish amalgamation of bits and pieces from all over Australia and the world, united inside uniquely recycled shipping containers. The blue gum floorboards are from Sydney, the decorative tiles are from Byron Bay, there’s a restored Western Cedar door, and the steel French doors were made locally.
Excellent location, beautiful setting and well thought out accommodation with modern ammenities. Close enough to town to walk in. Nearby there are mountain bike tracks to explore and excellent eating in the region.Comment by Sue
The funky studio is self-contained with a private veranda, courtyard and open fireplace. Enjoy your complimentary breakfast of local wood fired bread, eggs and condiments the morning after drinking your complimentary bottle of wine.
Good to Know:
- One-bedroom with bedding for two guests, bathroom, lounge, garden, deck and kitchenette
- The fire will be ready upon your arrival
- 700 thread count linen and Egyptian cotton towels
- Washing machine
- Air conditioning
- Check prices and availability at Merchants Studio
Popular Wineries in Margaret River
- To see the complete list see Tripadvisor here
- Voyager Estate
- Berry Farm
- Amelia Park Wines
- Xanadu Winery
- Cape Mentelle Vineyards
- Stella Bella Wines
- Leeuwin Estate
Whether you come seeking adventure, indulgence or relaxation, there’s plenty to do while enjoying your stay at a Eco Margaret River Accommodation. Nearby Jewel Cave is home to the longest straw stalactites in the world, and neighbouring surf breaks like Boodjidup Beach welcome migratory whales from June to November. The 3-hour drive from Perth is an easy and enjoyable experience of its own, so you’ve got plenty of reasons to start planning your next trip to Margaret River!
I hope you’ve enjoyed and been inspired by this list of stunning Eco Margaret River Accommodation, it’s hard to choose! Feel free to comment below. You may also enjoy: Karijini Eco Retreat in Western Australia and Best Margaret River Glamping in Western Australia.
And, if you’d like to receive my occasional e-mail with the latest inspirational places to stay, that will change your outlook on life, then sign up below: