These 7 Unique Places to Stay in Blenheim offer exceptional and unique accommodation along with nature, adventure, gourmet delights, and some of New Zealand’s best wineries. Blenheim is known as a gourmet paradise with artisan food, Southern seafood, rolling countryside, and a chance to taste some of the world’s best Sauvignon Blanc! For families, the Omaka Aviation Heritage Centre is a must-do. You’re truly spoilt for choice! So let’s discover what’s on offer…
- 1. The Marlborough – Blenheim
- 2. Marlborough Wine Barrel Cabins – Hawkesbury
- 3. Misty River Retreat – Blenheim
- 4. Dusk Till Dawn Forrest 360 Views – Pukaka Valley
- Vineyard Places to Stay in Blenheim
- 5. Vintners Retreat – Renwick
- 6. Misty Cove Cellar Door – Renwick
- 7. Olde Mill House B&B & Bike2Wine
- Biking in Blenheim
- Travel Essentials for Your Stay at one of these Unique Places to Stay in Blenheim:
1. The Marlborough – Blenheim
Best for: 5-Star Luxury Lodge, Former Convent, Pool, Spa and Wellness Centre, Harvest Restaurant, Wineries, Golf, Horseriding, Tennis
At first glance, The Malborough gives off country-living vibes. But, at a closer look, you realize there’s more to it than meets the eye. Once a convent and now a fine lodge, this unique Blenheim accommodation offers comfort and luxury with its spacious rooms and expansive grounds. Its location is perfect right at the heart of the Marlborough wine region and is a great option for those looking to take a break from the hustle and bustle of the city.
The property features contemporary suites with private en-suite bathrooms and air conditioning. The rooms give off a subtle elegance but still ensure you have access to the outside world with a flat-screen TV and WIFI.
This is one of the best places to stay in Blenheim with spa treatments on offer, a library, tennis court, horse riding, bike tours, and a golf course only 3 km away. Blenheim prides itself on being a gourmet province so be sure to book one of the cooking classes. Cloudy Bay Winery is only 3 km away and Hans Herzog is 5.7 km away.
Review: Luxury. Elegance. Quiet. Perfection. The Marlborough truly is Heaven On Earth.
Good to know:
- On-site bar and restaurant
- BBQ facilities
- Concierge and daily housekeeping
- Free Parking
- Spa and wellness centre
- Free WiFi
- Buffet Breakfast
- Book your luxury stay at The Marlborough with Booking.com
2. Marlborough Wine Barrel Cabins – Hawkesbury
Best for: Quirky and Fun Cabins, Affordable, Unique, Gardens, Wineries
Sleep in a wine barrel in wine country like a hobbit! Similar to glamping your super cute accommodation is surprisingly spacious with a double bed, cozy living and dining area, TV, tea and coffee making facilities, toaster, and heater for cooler temperatures. On sunny days sit outside on your little patio with a glass of sauvignon blanc looking out at the lovely gardens.
In summer your private outdoor shower is a unique experience! The indoor bathroom facilities are shared with the other cabins. There is also a shared fridge to keep your food and wine cool and fresh.
To Book: See the slideshow below then pop your dates in and press show prices. You’ll stay on this page, and see the best price after comparisons across the internet. Then you can press ‘book’ if you want to continue to the recommended booking site.
Wineries: Surrounded by vineyards some of the closest wineries are the Brancott Estate Heritage Centre (4.3kms), Spy Valley Wines (4.7kms), and the Fromm Winery (7kms), Wither Hills (12kms).
Good to Know:
- Choose from Mountain View Barrels for two or Garden View Barrels for two
- Free Parking
- Free WIFI
- A 15-minute drive from Blenheim
- Marlborough Airport is 8kms away
- Book a quirky stay at Marlborough Wine Barrel Cabins with Booking.com
3. Misty River Retreat – Blenheim
Best for: 4 Star Farmstay B&B, Alpacas, Protected Wetlands, Sustainable Property, Opaoa River, Family Friendly, Affordable
If you’re into finding accommodation that knocks the socks off your feet with its customer service, you’ll love Misty River Retreat. This unique Blenheim accommodation is 10 minutes away from central Blenheim, if you’re driving, and is set on 25 acres of wetlands with beautiful views of the surrounding native trees. Guests who’ve been here have reported receiving thoughtful little gifts so if you love surprises, you’ll enjoy your stay here.
This is a farmstay with friendly sheep, chickens, and alpacas! So this is one of the places to stay in Blenheim that children enjoy.
All rooms offer maximum views of the outdoors with floor-to-ceiling windows and a deck off the master bedroom that’ll give you a chance to connect with nature over a glass of wine. The private bathroom offers free eco toiletries and a modern shower.
Closest Wineries: Villa Maria Marlborough Winery (8.6kms), Wither Hills (10.2kms), Cloudy Bay Vineyards (14kms)
Good to know at this Unique Place to Stay in Blenheim:
- Two-bedroom cottages with kitchenettes
- Free laundry facilities
- Free Parking
- Wholesome continental breakfast – freshly baked bread, local coffee, eggs, cereal, fruit
- A 30-minute drive from Picton Ferry Terminal, 5 hours away from Christchurch, and a 20-minute drive from Marlborough Airport.
- Book your fun stay at Misty River Retreat with Booking.com
4. Dusk Till Dawn Forrest 360 Views – Pukaka Valley
Best for: Bedford Bus, Off-Grid Eco-friendly, Views, Kitchen, Family-friendly
Go off-grid 800ft above sea level on an East-West ridge above Blenheim. At Dusk Till Dawn Forrest 360 Views stay in a quirky renovated 1949 Bedford Bus boasting breathtaking panoramic views.
From that vantage point, you can enjoy the beautiful sights of the Marlborough Vineyards, Warau Plains, Wither Hills, Mount Tapuae-o-enuku, Cloudy Bay, Pukaka Valley, and Cook Straight.
This unique and eco-friendly accommodation offers a 1949 renovated Bedford Bus with a double bed and a sofa bed. This comfortably sleeps two adults and a child. An attached retro caravan is available next door with a single bed for two kids or one adult.
Fresh flowers, free-range eggs, coffee, tea, hot chocolate, and other country specialties are provided during your stay. Experience the simple pleasures of life on this self-sufficient property.
Review: If you’re the type of person who would book a house bus then you’ll love it!! (Not for the posh people.) It exceeded my expectations in every way. Crucially the bed was really comfortable and clean.
Good to Know
- Composting toilet near the bus, plus a hot shower with towels and soap
- Heated fireplace
- Beds for three guests – children welcome
- Fully equipped kitchen with two gas rings, pots, pans, crockery, and cutlery
- Book your off-grid stay in the Dusk Till Dawn Bus with VRBO/Bookabach!
Vineyard Places to Stay in Blenheim
Marlborough is New Zealand’s largest wine region. The following vineyard stays are located in the Wairau Valley which is blessed with a micro-climate perfect for wine growing. The weather here is sunny and dry with coastal breezes, along with free-draining riverbed soils. The wine is noted for its fruit intensity and Sauvignon Blanc is the pre-eminent grape variety. (NZ Wine).
5. Vintners Retreat – Renwick
Best for: 5 Star Boutique Villas, Pool, Tennis, Family-friendly, Gardens, Walk to Cellar Doors, BBQ
Surrounded by gardens and vineyards the 12 open-plan villas of Vintners Retreat are perfect for a ‘home away from home’ stay in the heart of Renwick.
The spacious villas encompass 4 different styles. Choose from Stables, Lodges, Manors, and the three-bedroom Lodge. They are serviced daily and include well-equipped kitchens, dining, lounges, and decks to enjoy the views across the vineyards to the Richmond Ranges.
Check availability at this great Retreat
Good to Know at this Unique Place to Stay in Blenheim
- Split level Stables 119m2 – 2 bedrooms with en-suites, for up to 5 guests
- Single-level Lodges 132m2 – 2 bedrooms for up to 5 guests
- Manor Lodges 162m2 – 2 bedrooms for us to 5 guests. Next to the vineyards
- Lodges 174m2 – 3 bedrooms for up to 7 guests, with 2 bathrooms
- Book Vintners Retreat with Agoda
6. Misty Cove Cellar Door – Renwick
Best for: Apartment, Pet-friendly, Pool, BBQ, Welcome Gifts, Garden
At Misty Cove Winery, this private cellar door apartment is an ideal stay if you’re looking for privacy and relaxation in the vineyards. Your dog is welcome too! The apartment is spacious and immaculate with a large lounge, fully-equipped kitchen, fireplace, bedroom with a large comfortable double bed, luxury linens, and bathroom with eco toiletries. Cool off in the large pool and then snooze on a beanbag under a sun umbrella.
Good to Know:
- Apartment for Two
- Free WIFI, TV
- Parking on site
- Wheelchair accessible
- Outdoor Dining and BBQ
- Check prices and availability at Misty Cove Cellar Door
7. Olde Mill House B&B & Bike2Wine
Your friendly hosts offer lovely cottage accommodation with breakfast and free wine tour bikes. They’ll even drop you off and pick you up in their vehicle if you don’t want to ride too far. There’s a hot tub for soaking your weary muscles after all that exercise! Accommodation includes a king room with an extra bed for 3 guests, a king room for two, and a queen room for two guests.
Biking in Blenheim
With great weather, gorgeous scenery, vineyards, cafes, and restaurants all within a concentrated area, this is a marvellous destination for a biking tour any time of the year. See a list of Viator’s best wine tours here.
Here’s a PDF Guide for The Golden Mile – Hire a bike and ride along 6kms of wineries, cellar doors, fine dining and countryside. The Facebook Page is: https://www.facebook.com/ridethegoldenmilemarlborough/
Travel Essentials for Your Stay at one of these Unique Places to Stay in Blenheim:
Travel Insurance: Cover-More NZ offers single or multi-trip travel insurance policies for domestic or international travel. The policies include Covid-19 benefits, rental car excess cover, emergency assistance, travel delays, luggage and travel documents.
36 existing medical conditions are included, and some adventure sports are in the basic policy but there’s also an adventure sports policy. For more information, you can see the Cover-More NZ website here.
Car Rental: Snap Rental prides itself on being New Zealand’s best value for money car rental company. To make it easier they also offer book now, pay later with Zip.
Cars on offer include large SUVs, minivans, modern new cars, eco friendly hybrids, and budget-friendly options. Pick up and drop off at Auckland Airport, Auckland Downtown, Christchurch Airport, and Queenstown Airport. To choose your vehicle and see an instant quote see the Snap Rental website here.
More Amazing Places to Stay in the South Island:
- Split Apple Retreat New Zealand for an Eco-Luxury Stay
- The Headwaters Eco Lodge in Glenorchy
- Soak up Kiwi Charm at The Pear Orchard Nelson
- SiloStay in Banks Peninsula, New Zealand
- Romantic Getaway: Lilac Rose Boutique Bed and Breakfast Christchurch
- Tussock Hill Vineyard Retreat in Christchurch