Named Glacier Country for good reason, this region is blessed with soaring mountain peaks, rugged terrains, native rainforest, wild beaches, hot springs, and history. The two glaciers steal the scene with their icy beauty. This list of Unique Franz Josef and Fox Glacier Accommodation showcases a range of rustic hotels and holiday homes that blend naturally into the environment and are warm and inviting for every season. See also Travel Tips and Things to Do at the end of the post…
- Franz Josef
- Rainforest Retreat $-$$
- Rainforest Deluxe $$$
- Cosy Cabin in the Paddocks $$
- Kahere Retreat $$
- Alpine Escape $$
- Te Awa Cottages $$
- Book Westwood Lodge at Booking.com
- Fox Glacier
- The Church at Fox $$$
- Distinction Fox Glacier – Te Weheka Boutique Hotel $$
- Travel Tips and Things to Do in Glacier Country
- Don’t miss Booking an Adventure Tour
Price Range: Cabin/Hostel $ | Budget $$ | Mid-range $$$ | Luxury $$$$
Links to: Booking.com for free cancellation and the Genius programme for loyalty discounts. Bookabach/VRBO for unique holiday homes. Agoda for secret deals and a great search function.
Type of Accommodation: Rainforest Retreat | Tree House | Country and Bush
Destination: Franz Josef | Fox Glacier | South Island | New Zealand
Rainforest Retreat $-$$
Franz Josef. Immersed in lush native bush. Range of tree huts, tree lodges, dorm rooms, and holiday homes with tubs. Relax in the spa and sauna. Bar on site and popular restaurant. Up to 12 guests. Book at Booking.com
Rainforest Deluxe $$$
Upmarket accommodation on the same property. Deluxe Tree Huts, Deluxe Tree Lodges, Deluxe two-bedroom Spa Treehouses. Includes breakfast. Wellness Centre with spa and sauna. Up to 4 guests. Book at Booking.com
Cosy Cabin in the Paddocks $$
Franz Josef. Luxury farm cottage with stylish interiors. Kitchenette, Queen bed with fine linen, chic bathroom (nice hot shower). Deck, Netflix on TV, continental breakfast included, free WIFI. 2 guests. Book at Booking.com
Kahere Retreat $$
Franz Josef. Luxury Handcrafted Timber Chalets near a brook and Lake Mapourika. Creatively designed. Free WIFI, heating, kitchen, deck, BBQ. 2 bedrooms – 1 double bed and 2 single beds for up to 4 guests. Book at Booking.com
Alpine Escape $$
8kms from the glacier. Mountain view chalets in the countryside. See the glacier from your bed! Kitchen, bathroom, TV, free WIFI, boardgames, deck. 3kms to eateries. Star gazing on clear nights. Double bed for 2 guests. Book at Agoda
Te Awa Cottages $$
One bedroom country cottages near town (2 minute drive) with views of the snow covered Main Divide and Melchior Glacier. Comfy, free WIFI, TV, heatpump, well-equipped kitchen. 1 Large double bed and 1 sofa bed for up to 4 guests. Book at Agoda
Book Westwood Lodge at Booking.com
The mountain scenery around Franz Josef suits a country lodge perfectly! With warm wooden interiors and stylish furnishings, why not cozy up to the fireplace and enjoy the friendly hospitality at Westwood Lodge before setting out for a wilderness adventure.
The Church at Fox $$$
This restored church is now a 5 star unique holiday home. Made from local stone and original timber features. Full kitchen with dishwasher, free WIFI, full Sky TV, luxury bedding. Complimentary bottle of Central Otago Pinot Noir. Queen bed for 2 guests. Book at Agoda
Distinction Fox Glacier – Te Weheka Boutique Hotel $$
When you want daily housekeeping and a break from cooking! The Te Weheka Boutique Hotel is 4.5 Stars, with 24 hour front desk, library, shop, restaurant and bar. Each morning you can choose from a buffet or American-style breakfast. The suites are spacious with free WIFI and full Sky TV. You have parking on site and you’re in the centre of town. (Link to Booking.com)
Travel Tips and Things to Do in Glacier Country
- Best time to visit is the shoulder season when it’s less crowded and the weather is warm. This is: March – April and October – November.
- Be prepared for rain! Take a good rain jacket and waterproof pants for hiking.
- See kiwis (the bird kind!) at the West Coast Wildlife Centre in Franz Josef.
- Hikes around Fox Glacier include lots of short walks from 20 minutes to three hours return. Includes the walk to Lake Matheson/Te Ara Kairaumati and the Lake Gault Track. For the full list see the Department of Conservation link here.
- Hikes around Franz Josef include the popular 30 minute rainforest walk to the base of the glacier and the 8 hour Alex Knob track. For the full list see the Department of Conservation link here.
- Take a warm dip at the Glacier Hot Pools immersed in stunning rainforest in Franz Josef.
- Heli Hiking on the glaciers. Franz Josef is steeper and more popular while Fox Glacier is longer. See tours below that offer trips to both glaciers.
- Bike the West Coast Wilderness Trail 132kms of lakes, forests, lagoons, glacial rivers, wetlands, rugged coast and adventure! Here’s the map.
Don’t miss Booking an Adventure Tour
Viator offer an awesome selection of adventures: hiking, mountain biking, kayaking, heli hiking, fishing, jet boating and relaxing spa experiences in the lush forest…
So, when are you escaping to one of these Unique Franz Josef and Fox Glacier Accommodation options?
Please share this post with your friends!
See more unusual places to stay in New Zealand:
- Unique New Zealand Accommodation for Couples: Lower North Island
- SiloStay in Banks Peninsula, New Zealand
- New Zealand South Island Holiday: 4 Baches you’ll Love!
- What are Free Things to Do in Wellington? 2023
- 12+ Unique Places to Stay in Wellington NZ 2023
- Amazing Spiritual Retreats in New Zealand for Over 50’s