A whopping 2 billion people around the globe enjoy a cup of tea every morning. At the Amba Estate Farmstay in Sri Lanka’s Uva Highlands, this charming small-scale enterprise produces heritage tea that is both fair trade and organic.
This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. See Affiliate Disclaimer.
You’ve never tasted artisanal tea as delicious as this and if you’re looking for a fair trade tea estate off the beaten path then this community development enterprise is well worth the exciting journey. Here’s why…
The Amba team are passionate about growing the best coffee, tea, and spices with sustainable methods and running a social enterprise that is fair for all.
Once your driver has negotiated the winding hill roads (don’t look down!) you’ll arrive at this welcoming homestay in incredibly lush countryside with breathtaking views of Ella Gap and Lipton’s Seat.
You can watch a quick video about Amba here:
Amba Estate Farmstay B&B
Best for: Homely, Community Ethos, Delicious Sri-Lankan home cooking, Tea plantation tour, Tea tasting session, Hiking around the hills
If you want to see the inside of an ethical tea enterprise then Amba is a must-see. The price of your stay here also benefits the community. The surroundings are peaceful and the countryside is lush with lots of walking opportunities for a spot of healthy scenic exercise.
If you don’t have time to stay then you can book a day tour instead (but try and stay if you can).
Amba = Fair Trade
The staff work in safe and healthy working conditions. Each earns a wage and receives a percentage of the profits.
Everyone at Amba is passionate about the enterprise and as you’re shown around the plantation you’ll learn about their environmental and social activities and goals.
You can get to Amba Estate Farmstay by car, bus or trishaw. The trip is 10-15 kms from Ella or Bandarawela depending on which direction you take and should take 30-50 minutes. The directions are here>>
Unique Accommodation Options
- Amba Farmhouse is 180sqm with 1 double, 2 king beds, and 8 twin beds
- Clove Tree House is 200sqm with 2 queen and 4 twin beds
- Clove Tree Cottage is 60sqm with 2 queen and 3 twin beds (recommended)
- Clove double, twin, or single rooms
- Farmhouse double, twin, or single rooms
- The original Tea-workers’ Quarters – Linerooms – double, twin, or single
Good to Know
- The main house has plenty of room with 4 double bedrooms and 2 shared bathrooms plus a dining room, lounge, and kitchen
- Children are welcome
- Bungalows are suitable for families
- Your hosts and the guests all eat together so it’s a very friendly environment and you’ll enjoy fascinating conversations with locals and global travellers
Top Tip: Everyone recommends you stay at least 2 nights but wouldn’t 4 be even better to relax and watch the working farm in action especially if you’re interested in sustainable farming and fair trade!
Things to Do
- Guided Plantation Tour – learn how the philosophy of the estate guides the farming and employment practices.
- Tea Tasting – what an opportunity trying the tea straight from the source…and no food miles!
- Enjoy the countryside with a walk to: Ella Rock
- Ravana Falls: waterfalls
- Plenty of fresh air and exercise when you hike around the Estate.
Booking at Amba
Amba Estate Farmstay gives you the opportunity to relax, experience a tea plantation and enjoy their friendly company, and in return your stay benefits the community and the enterprise. Now that’s travelling with a conscience.
Book your accommodation: https://www.ambaestate.com/
This is the Amba Estate Farmstay Facebook Page where you can message them and it’s regularly updated: Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ambaestate/
- Join WayAway Plus and get the best flight deals with cashback. Read more here: How WayAway Plus Helps You Save Money on Travel
- Don’t leave home without your travel insurance all sorted. It only takes a few minutes to organise with VisitorsCoverage.
- Get all your tropical protection from Amazon: Natural Insect Repellant, Eco-friendly Sunscreen, and a Travel First Aid Kit